Clifton Reynes is an Ancient Parish in the county of Buckinghamshire.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1653
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1576
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CLIFTON-REYNES, a parish in Newport-Pagnell district, Bucks; on the river Ouse, 1 mile E of Olney, and 6 NNE of Newport-Pagnell r. station. Post town, Olney, under Newport-Pagnell. Acres, 1, 444. Real property, £2, 077. Pop., 212. Houses, 47. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the De Bocards and the Reynes. Clifton was a retreat of the poet Cowper, and the residence of Lady Austen, who told him the story of John Gilpin. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £360. Patron, the Rev. H. A. Small. The church is partly early English, good and interesting; and contains monuments of the De Bocards and the Reynes. Charities, £15.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
CLIFTON-REYNES (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Newport-Pagnell, hundred of Newport, county of Buckingham, 1½ mile (E. by S.) from Olney; containing 213 inhabitants. The principal manor here was given by William the Conqueror to Robert de Todeni, one of the companions of his expedition, and afterwards passed into the family of Reynes, from whom the place takes the adjunct to its name. An heiress of the family of Reynes conveyed the property to the Lowes, who sold it to the celebrated Serjeant Maynard; it subsequently passed to the noble family of Hobart, and about 1750 was disposed of by the Earl of Buckinghamshire to the Small family. Another manor here was anciently possessed by the Mordaunts. The parish, which is situated on the eastern bank of the river Ouse, comprises 1395a. 28p.; the surface is irregular, and the lower lands are subject occasionally to inundations of the river. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £13. 6. 10½.; net income, £370; patron and incumbent, the Rev. H. A. Small. By a recent inclosure act, land of the value of about £150 per annum, was given in lieu of a portion of the tithes. There is a small glebe also, part of which is in the adjoining parish of Newton-Blossomville; with a glebe-house. The church, a handsome edifice, is supposed to have been erected about the time of Edward I.; it has a square tower, and contains an ancient font, and some tombs to the family of Reynes. A school was built in 1844.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Buckinghamshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Newport Pagnell
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
- Diocese: Pre-1845 - Lincoln, Post-1844 - Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - None, Post-1844 - Newport
- Poor Law Union: Newport Pagnell
- Hundred: Newport
- Province: Canterbury