Chicheley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Buckinghamshire.
Alternative names: Chichley
Parish church: St. Lawrence
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1539
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1575
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Chicheley, or Chichley, a parish in Newport-Pagnell district, Bucks; on an affluent of the river Ouse, 2 ½ miles NE of Newport-Pagnell, and 6 ½ NE by E of Wolverton r. station. Post-town, Newport-Pagnell. Acres, 1,620. Real property, £2,892. Pop., 265. Houses, 55. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Chicheley Hall, built in 1769, belongs to C. M. Chester, Esq. The parish is a meet for the Oakley hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £116. Patron, C. M. Chester, Esq. The church is early English and good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
CHICHELEY (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Newport-Pagnell, hundred of Newport, county of Buckingham, 2½ miles (N. E. by E.) from Newport-Pagnell, on the road to Bedford, containing 256 inhabitants. It comprises about 1500 acres, in nearly equal portions of arable and pasture, with some woodland; the soil is mostly clay, and the parish stands high, having fine views from the hill on the road to NewportPagnell. Chicheley Hall is a handsome and spacious quadrilateral edifice of red brick. The making of lace affords employment to the female population. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £8; net income, £63; patron, the Rev. Anthony Chester, who is also impropriator of the great tithes, and owner of the parish. The church is in the pointed style, with a lofty tower, and a fine peal of eight bells: the chancel was built in 1700: there are curious monuments to the Chester and Cave families. A school is supported by subscription.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Buckinghamshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Newport Pagnell
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
- Diocese: Pre-1845 - Lincoln, Post-1844 - Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - None, Post-1844 - Newport
- Poor Law Union: Newport Pagnell
- Hundred: Newport
- Province: Canterbury