Chetwode with Barton Hartshorn is an Ancient Parish in the county of Buckinghamshire.
Other places in the parish include: Barton Hartshorn.
Alternative names: Chetwode, Chetwood
Parish church: St. Mary and St. Nicholas
Parish registers begin:
Chetwode with Barton Hartshorn
- Parish registers: 1583
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1594
- Parish registers: 1752
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1575
- Stratton Audley, Oxfordshire
- Preston Bissett
- Finmere, Oxfordshire
- Newton Purcell with Shelswell, Oxfordshire
- Godington, Oxfordshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Chetwode, a parish in the district and county of Buckingham; on the verge of the county, 3¼ miles NNW of Launton r. station, and 4 SW of Buckingham. Post-town, Buckingham. Acres, 1,200. Real property, £2,029. Pop., 177. Houses, 36. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to a Chetwode before the Conquest; and is still held by his descendants. An Augustinian priory was founded here in 1244. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the p. curacy of Barton-Hartshorn, in the diocese of Oxford. The church belonged to the priory; and has a very fine early English chancel, and some of the oldest stained glass in England. Dean Chetwode was a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
CHETWOOD (St. Mary and St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union, hundred, and county of Buckingham, 5 miles (S. W. by W.) from Buckingham; containing 197 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to that of Barton-Hartshorn: the tithes were commuted for land in 1812. The church, made parochial in 1480, is remarkable for some beautiful specimens of stained glass, formerly belonging to a priory of Augustine monks, founded by Sir Ralph de Norwich in 1244, and which was dissolved on account of its poverty in 1460, and annexed to the abbey of Nutley. There was also a hermitage dedicated to St. Stephen and St. Lawrence, founded by a member of the Chetwode family, the representative of which claims suit and service, by prescriptive right, over this place and some neighbouring hamlets, that are said to have been included within the limits of an ancient forest of 1000 acres, called Rockwood.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Buckinghamshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Buckingham
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
- Diocese: Pre-1845 - Lincoln, Post-1844 - Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - None, Post-1844 - Buckingham
- Poor Law Union: Buckingham
- Hundred: Buckingham
- Province: Canterbury