Chenies is an Ancient Parish in the county of Buckinghamshire.
Alternative names: Cheneys, Islehampstead Cheneys, Islehampstead Cheynes
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1592
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Baptist
- Chalfont St Giles
- Chorley Wood Christ Church, Hertfordshire
- Sarratt, Hertfordshire
- Amersham with Coleshill
- Flaunden, Hertfordshire
- Chalfont St Peter
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Cheneys, Chenies, or Islehampstead-Cheneys, a village and a parish in Amersham district, Bucks. The village stands on the verge of the county, on the river Chess, 4¼ miles E by N of Amersham, and 4½ WSW of King’s Langley r. station. It consists of neat cottages, grouped round a pretty green; has a post-office of the name of Chenies, under Watford; and gives the title of Baron to the Duke of Bedford. The parish comprises 1,744 acres. Real property, £2,399. Pop., 468. Houses, 112. The manor belonged formerly to the Cheynes and the Sapcotes; and passed by marriage, in 1560, to the Russells. The manor-house of the Sapcotes was almost rebuilt by the first Lord Russell, and gave entertainment to Queen Elizabeth in 1570; and a picturesque fragment of it, now a farm-house, still stands adjacent to the church. Chorley-Wood, in the near neighbourhood, is the seat of W. Longman, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £380. Patron, the Duke of Bedford. The church is an ancient edifice, beautifully restored; was the marriage-place, in 1630, of the Countess of Dorset to the Earl of Pembroke; contains two remarkable brasses of the Cheynes; and includes a chapel which has been the burial-place of the Russells since 1556, and which contains a series of magnificent tombs of the Earls and Dukes of Bedford and their children. There is a Baptist chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
CHENIES, anciently Isenhamsted, or Eastmansted (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Amersham, hundred of Burnham, county of Buckingham, 4 miles (E. by N.) from Amersham; containing 625 inhabitants. This parish once belonged to the family of Cheynes, lords of the manor; and the old manor-house, which was much improved in the reign of Henry VIII., by Lord Russell, into whose family it had come by marriage with the Cheynes’, is still in tolerable preservation. The parish comprises about 1400 acres, nearly all belonging to the Duke of Bedford: the surface is hilly, and the soil a gravelly loam, resting on chalk. The manufacture of paper is carried on extensively. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £12. 16. 0½., and in the gift of his Grace: the tithes have been commuted for £411. 6. 8., and the glebe comprises 30 acres, with a glebe-house. Attached to the church is a chapel, built in 1556 by Anne, Countess of Bedford, pursuant to the will of her deceased lord, John, Earl of Bedford, and containing many very interesting and some superb monuments of the Russell family, especially one to Lord William Russell, beheaded in 1683, and who lies interred in the vault beneath, with his heroic wife, Lady Rachel: in the vault are upwards of fifty coffins, with inscriptions bearing dates from 1591 to the present time. There is a place of worship for Baptists. An almshouse for ten poor persons was founded and endowed in 1603, by Anne, Countess of Warwick, daughter of the second earl of Bedford. John Russell, ancestor of the Duke of Bedford, was raised to the peerage in 1538–9, by the title of Baron Russell of Chenies, which his descendants continue to bear.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Buckinghamshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Amersham
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
- Diocese: Pre-1845 - Lincoln, Post-1844 - Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - None, Post-1844 - Burnham
- Poor Law Union: Amersham
- Hundred: Burnham
- Province: Canterbury