Calverton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Buckinghamshire.
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1590
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
- Stony Stratford
- Passenham with Deanshanger, Northamptonshire
- Bradwell Abbey
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CALVERTON, a parish in the district of Potterspury and county of Buckingham; on Watling-street and the river Ouse, adjacent to the Buckingham canal, 1 mile S of Stony-Stratford, and 2½ WSW of Wolverton r. station. Post town, Stony-Stratford. Acres, 1,980. Real property, £3,372. Pop., 595. Houses, 112. The property is divided among a few. A Roman camp lay around the site of the church; and Roman relics have been found there. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value £346. Patron, the Earl of Egmont. The church was built in 1818. Charities, £30.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
CALVERTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Potter’s-Pury, hundred of Newport, county of Buckingham, 1 mile (S.) from Stony-Stratford; containing 493 inhabitants. This parish once included the western portion of Stony-Stratford, which was separated from it by act of parliament: the manor belonged to Simon Bennet, Esq., who, during the commonwealth, built the manor-house on the site of a more ancient structure. The parish comprises about 2000 acres, whereof two-thirds are arable and the rest pasture; both the surface and the soil are considerably varied: the river Ouse skirts it on the north. The substrata are chiefly limestone and sandstone; the former, which abounds with numerous fossil shells, is quarried for burning into lime and for building purposes. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £26. 2. 11.; net income, £346; patron, the Earl of Egmont: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1782. The church is a neat plain edifice, erected in 1818, by Lord Arden and the Rev. George Butler, D.D., then rector; it has been embellished with stained glass by the Rev. C. G. Perceval, the present incumbent, and the interior has a neat and pleasing appearance. The rectory-house, built by Lord Arden in 1820, occupies the site of a small Roman camp, and numerous fragments of Roman pottery, with arrow-heads, and a spear, have been discovered. Six small almshouses were built in 1830. A chalybeate spring, called the Bloody Hawk, was formerly much resorted to by persons who, on those occasions, formed groups for dancing to the violin.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Buckinghamshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Potterspury
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
- Diocese: Pre-1845 – Lincoln, Post-1844 – Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – None, Post-1844 – Newport
- Poor Law Union: Potterspury
- Hundred: Newport
- Province: Canterbury