Bletchley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Buckinghamshire.
Other places in the parish include: Water Eaton.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1577
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1575
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Stoke Hammond
- Little Brickhill
- Great Brickhill
- Newton Longville
- Fenny Stratford
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BLETCHLEY, a township and a parish in Newport-Pagnell district, Bucks. The township lies adjacent to Watling-street, and on the Northwestern railway, at the junction of the branches to Bedford, Oxford, and Banbury, 14 miles, by railway, E of Buckingham; and it has a station on the railway, and a head post-office of the name of Bletchley Station. Acres, 1,180. Real property, £1,700. Pop., 426. Houses, 97. The parish includes also the hamlet of Water-Eaton and part of the township of Fenny-Stratford. Acres, 3,150. Real property, with the rest of Fenny-Stratford, £8,843. Pop., 1,658. Houses, 361. The property is divided among a few. The original head-manor was Water-Eaton; and was given by William the Conqueror to Geoffry, Bishop of Constance in Normandy. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £456. Patron, Joseph Bennitt, Esq. The church is a handsome Gothic structure, with a tower; and contains the tomb of Lord Grey de Wilton, who died in 1442, and a curious tablet to Dr. Sparke, who was rector in 1616.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Buckinghamshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Newport Pagnell
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
- Diocese: Pre-1845 - Lincoln, Post-1844 - Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - None, Post-1844 - Newport
- Poor Law Union: Newport Pagnell
- Hundred: Newport
- Province: Canterbury