Ashendon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Buckinghamshire.
Other places in the parish include: Pollicot.
Alternative names: Ashenden
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1732
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1590
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Table of Contents
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ASHENDON, a parish and a hundred in Bucks. The parish is in Aylesbury district, near the Julian way, 7½ miles W of Aylesbury r. station; and includes the hamlet of Pollicot. Post Town, Brill under Tetsworth. Acres, 1,790. Real property, £3,498. Pop., 325. Houses, 64. The property is divided among a few.
The manor of Ashendon has been held for centuries by the Grenvilles. The manor of Little Pollicot was given about the year 1479 by John Bucktot, a priest, to one of the colleges of Oxford. Ashendon figures repeatedly in the wars of the heptarchy, and claims against Ashdown to have been the scene of Alfred’s victory in 871.
The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Dorton, in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £106. Patron, Christ Church College, Oxford. The church contains the tomb of a crusader, and is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Aylesbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
- Diocese: Pre-1845 – Lincoln, Post-1844 – Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Waddesdon
- Poor Law Union: Aylesbury
- Hundred: Ashendon
- Province: Canterbury