Addington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Buckinghamshire.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin: 1558
Addington, 1 m. N.W. Winslow. P. 84.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Addington, a parish in the hund., union and county of Buckingham; 1¾ miles west-north-west from Winslow. Living, a rectory in the archd. of Bucks and dio. of Lincoln; rated at £9 9s. 7d.; gross income £200. There is a small benefaction of land for the repairs of the church. Patron, in 1835, J. Poulet, Esq. The sum of £19 1s. 8d. is yearly applied to the purposes of educating and apprenticing poor boys belonging to the parish. The Gallows gap in this parish marks the site of the gallows erected by one of the family of Molines, who, as lord of the barony, possessed power over the life and limb of culprits. Pop., in 1801, 93; in 1831, 72. Houses 14. Acres 1,320. A. P. £3,101. Poor rates, in 1837. £70.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Addington (St. Mary), a parish, in the union, hundred, and county of Buckingham, 1 ¾ mile (W. N. W.) from Winslow; containing 84 inhabitants. It comprises about 1500 acres; the surface is in general level, and the soil good pasture. The living is a rectory, valued in the King’s books at £9. 9. 7.; net income, £200; patron, John Poulett, Esq.: the glebe consists of 100 acres. On the border of the parish is a place called “Gallows Gap,” where, in the reign of Edward III., a gallows was erected by one of the family of Molines, who, as lords of the barony, possessed the power of trying and executing capital offenders.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.