Buckinghamshire is bounded North by Northamptonshire, East by Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire and Middlesex, South by Berkshire, and West by Oxfordshire. Its shape is oblong, being about fifty miles long and sixteen broad. It has eight hundreds; namely Ashendon, Aylesbury, Buckingham, Burnham, Cottesloe, Desborough, Newport and Stoke. Rivers: the Thames, the Ouse and the Colne. It has 16 Market- Towns, is in the Province of Canterbury, principally in the Diocese of Lincoln, but partly in those of Canterbury and London, and is in the Norfolk Circuit. It contains 740 square miles, or 473,600 acres. Population, 155,983.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.