Sunninghill. London Road & R. Holliday Family Draper Shop. 1914 berkshire

Sunninghill is an Ancient Parish in the county of Berkshire.

Status: Ancient Parish

Other places in the parish include: Bromhall, or Bromehall

Parish church: St. Michael

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1561
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Wesleyan Methodist

Table of Contents

Parishes adjacent to Sunninghill

Parish History

Sunninghill

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

SUNNINGHILL, a village and a parish in Windsor district, Berks. The village stands near the Staines and Reading railway, 10 miles WSW of Staines; is a straggling-place; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Staines. The parish includes parts of Cranbourne and Sunningdale chapelries, contains Ascot racecourse, and comprises 3,173 acres. Real property, £10,490. Pop. in 1851, 1,350; in 1861, 1,596. Houses, 314. The property is much subdivided. S. Park, Silwood Park, Titnest Park, and Harewood Lodge are chief residenccs There is a mineral spring. A small Benedictine nunnery was at Bromhall. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £328. Patron, St. John’s College, Cambridge. The church was rebuilt in 1828. There are a Methodist chapel, and an endowed school with £22 a year.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Sunninghill, 7 m. N. Oakingham. P. 2062

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Bromhall

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Bromhall, or Bromehall, a hamlet in the parish of Sunninghill, hund, of Cookham, county of Berks. “Here was a small Benedictine nunnery, dedicated to St. Margaret, founded before the first year of King John. But by inquisition, taken 13° Henry VIII., it was found that Joan Rawlins, late prioress, having resigned, the only two nuns belonging to this house had abandoned it (in 1522), upon which the priory with the lands belonging thereunto were judged to be escheated to the crown, from whence it was granted, in the next year, by the interest and procurement of Bishop Fisher, to St. John’s college in Cambridge, which yet enjoys the same.” Tanner’s Not. Mod.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Parish Records

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Berkshire Archives & Family History Groups

Berkshire Record Office

Berkshire Family History Society

GENUKI Berkshire

Berkshire

England, Berkshire, Reading, Cemetery Records, 1843-1959

Newtown Road Cemetery

Berkshire BMD

Berkshire Gravestones

Find A Grave Berkshire

West Berkshire War Memorials

Calendar of Berkshire Wills

Wellington College Register 1859-1905

Abingdon Union Workhouse Census 1881

Bradfield Union Workhouse 1881

Cookham Union Workhouse 1881

Easthampstead Union Workhouse 1881

Great Faringdon Union Workhouse 1881

Hungerford Union Workhouse 1881

Newbury Union Workhouse 1881

Reading Union Workhouse 1881

Wallingford Union Workhouse 1881

Wantage Union Workhouse 1881

Windsor Union Workhouse 1881

Wokingham Union Workhouse

Berkshire Enclosure Maps

Berkshire History

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Berkshire
  • Civil Registration District: Windsor
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Berkshire
  • Diocese: Pre-1836 – Salisbury, Post-1835 – Oxford
  • Rural Deanery: Reading
  • Poor Law Union: Windsor
  • Hundred: Cookham
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts