Shaw cum Donnington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Berkshire.
Other places in the parish include: Donnington.
Alternative names: Shaw
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1646
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1563
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SHAW-CUM-DONNINGTON, a parish in Newbury district, Berks; on the river Lambourn, 1½ mile N by E of Newbury r. station. It has a post-office, of the name of Donnington, under Newbury. Acres, 1,989. Real property, £4,857. Pop., 680. Houses, 152. S. manor, with S. House, belongs to H. R. Eyre, Esq.; and D. manor, to W. H. H. Hartley, Esq. S. House dates from the time of Elizabeth; was garrisoned for Charles I., at the time of the second battle of Newbury; and has a hole in an oak-wainscot, through which a musket-ball passed while the king was dressing at the window. D. Castle belonged to the family of the poet Chaucer; is commonly, but erroneously, said to have been the poet’s birth-place; was a centre of conflict in the civil wars of Charles I.; stood on the crown of a hill, shrouded among trees; was engirt, at the time of the wars, with entrenchments, still visible; and is now represented by only an ivy-cladgate-way flanked with tall towers, and by a piece of adjoining wall. D. Priory stands at the foot of the castlehill; was built in 1576; and occupies the site of a small Trinitarian priory, founded in 1394 by Sir R. Abberbury. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £623. Patron, H. R. Eyre, Esq. The church was re-built in 1840, and is in the Norman style. There are a parochial school, an almshouse-hospital with £401 a year, and other charities £44.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Shaw-cum-Donnington, a parish in the hund. of Faircross, union of Newbury, county of Berks; 1½ mile north-east of Newbury, on the northern bank of the Kennet. Acres 1,940. Houses 138. A.P. £2,827. Pop., in 1801, 424; in 1831, 620. Living, a rectory, formerly in the archd. of Berks and dio. of Salisbury, now in the dio. of Oxford; rated at £12 11s. 8d.; gross income £498. Patron, in 1841, the Rev. T. Penrose. Here is a daily school. An almshouse for a minister and 12 poor men, was founded here by Sir Richard Abberbury, Knt., in the reign of Richard II. Having subsequently fallen into decay, it was restored in the reign of Queen Eliiabeth by Charles Howard, Earl of Nottingham. On an average of 7 years, to 1836, the amount of annual income was £400 6s. 9d. Mr Howard Hartley of Bucklebury, as representative of the Earl of Nottingham, is patron, and appoints the minister and almsmen. Poor rates, in 1838, £397 4s. The manor house, built by an eminent clothier in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, was garrisoned for Charles in the second battle of Newbury. A considerable number of cannon balls, picked up occasionally about the grounds, are carefully preserved. In an old oak wainscot of a low window is a small hole, about the height of a man’s head, which, according to tradition, was made by a bullet fired at the king whilst dressing at the window, and which very narrowly missed.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Money John, Donnington, Berkshire, builder, Feb. 8, 1839.
Berkshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Berkshire
- Civil Registration District: Newbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Berkshire
- Diocese: Pre-1836 - Salisbury, Post-1835 - Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Newbury
- Poor Law Union: Newbury
- Hundred: Faircross
- Province: Canterbury