Radley is a chapelry of Abingdon St Helen with St Nicholas Ancient Parish in Berkshire.
Other places in the parish include: Thrupp and Wick, Island, Kennington, and Pumney Farm.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1599
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1607
Separate registers exist for Kennington
- Parish registers: 1829
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1851
- Littlemore, Oxfordshire
- Nuneham Courtenay, Oxfordshire
- Abingdon St Helen with St Nicholas
- Bagley Wood
- South Hinksey
- Chandlings Farm
- Sandford-on-Thames, Oxfordshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
RADLEY, a village and a parish in Abingdon district, Berks. The village stands adjacent to the Oxford railway, near the river Thames, 1 mile N of Culham r.station, and 2½ NE of Abingdon; and has a post-office under Abingdon. The parish contains also the liberty of Thrupp and Wick, and part of the township of Kennington. Acres, 2,994. Real property, inclusive of the rest of K., £5,560. Pop. exc. of the rest of K., 484. Houses, 94. The manor belonged to Abingdon abbey, went, after the dissolution, to G. Stonehouse, Esq., passed, in 1792, to Capt. afterwards Admiral Bowyer; and, with R. Hall and most of the land, belongs now to Sir G. Bowyer, Bart. The living is a donative in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £75. Patron, Sir G. Bowyer, Bart. The church is later English, and contains an alabaster altar-tomb of Sir W. and Lady Stonehouse. St. Peter’s college is a large Church of England-school for the upper classes; was founded in 1847; and includes dormitories and a beautiful chapel. There is also a village school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Berkshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
Civil Registration District: Abingdon
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Berkshire
Diocese: Pre-1836 – Salisbury, Post-1835 – Oxford
Rural Deanery: Abingdon
Poor Law Union: Abingdon