Pangbourne is an Ancient Parish in the county of Berkshire.
Alternative names: Pangbourn, Pagbourn
Parish church: St. James
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1556
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1607
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
Parishes adjacent to Pangbourne
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PANGBOURN, a village and a parish in Brad field district, Berks. The village stands on the river Pangnear its influx to the Thames at the boundary with Oxfordshire, and on the Great Western railway, 5½ miles W N W of Reading; presents a picturesque appearance; is much frequented by artists and anglers; and has a post-office under Reading, a railway station with telegraph, a good hotel, and gas-works erected in 1862. The parish comprises 1,925 acres. Real property, £4,047. Pop., 753. Houses, 154. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Bishops of Salisbury; was given, in 1230, to Reading abbey; went, at the dissolution, to Sir John Davies; and passed, in 1671, to John Breedon, Esq. Bere Court is the manor-house; was inhabited by the Abbots of Reading, and by Sir J. Davies; and is now the seat of E. A. Breedon, Esq. Pangbourn Lodge is the seat of R. J. Hopkins, Esq. Roman coins, urns, and other relics were found, during the formation of the Great Western railway, at Shooter-hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £600. Patron, E. A. Breedon, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1866, at a cost of £3,860; is in the early decorated English style; and comprises nave with N aisle, chancel with aisle, S porch, vestry, and tower and spire 130 feet high. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and charities £51.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Pangbourn, 4 miles N.W. Reading. P. 804
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Cottrell James, Pagbourn, Berkshire, innkeeper, Dec. 23, 1828.
April 1850 – Alfred Wainwright – Pangbourne, Berkshire
Pursuant to the Acts for the Relief of Insolvent Debtors in England.
The following PRISONERS, whose Estates and Effects have been vested in the Provisional Assignee by Order of the Court for Relief of Insolvent Debtors, and whose Petitions and Schedules, duly filed, have been severally referred and transmitted to the County Courts hereinafter mentioned, pursuant to the Statute in that behalf, are ordered to be brought up before the Judges of the said Courts respectively, as herein set forth, to be dealt with according to Law :
Before the Judge of the County Court of Berkshire, holden at Reading, on Monday the 6th day of May 1850.
Alfred Wainwright, late of Pangbourne, Berkshire, in no business or profession, and before that of No.67, Oxford street, Reading, Berkshire, Butcher.
Berkshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
Civil Registration District: Bradfield
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Berkshire
Diocese: Pre-1836 – Salisbury, Post-1835 – Oxford
Rural Deanery: Reading
Poor Law Union: Bradfield