North Hinksey is an Ecclesiastical Parish partly in Berkshire and partly in Oxfordshire; Created in 1726 from chapelry in Cumnor Ancient Parish.

Alternative names: Ferry Hinksey, Hinksey Ferry, Lawrence Hinksey, North Hinksey

Other places included in the parish: Botley

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1703
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1607

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

HINKSEY (NORTH), or Ferry-Hinksey, a village and a parish in Abingdon district, Berks. The village stands on the river Isis, at the boundary with Oxfordshire, ½ a mile SW of Oxford r. station; is reached, from Oxford, by a ferry; and was anciently called Hengestesigge. A visitor to it says, respecting it, but might have said more suitably respecting South Hinksey:- “Down the woodlands on the left yon descend into old, old, dry walled, tottering, time worn Hinksey. This most Arcadian village, as secluded as a wood pigeon’s nest, as tranquil as the grotto of Silence, the home of none but simplest peasantry, is scarce the flit of a butterfly from Oxford, that great laboratory of mind:- ‘ Not a bow shot from the college, Half the globe from sense and knowledge, ‘ Happy Hinksey !-the tree of knowledge is still fatal; and whoever tastes of its fruit his state of paradisiacal simplicity expires. Once more then happy Hinksey ! Up and down its stony lanes, and by its limpid, lightfooted stream, the only babbler to be heard in the place, along its grey, mossy bearded, mouldering walls, I wander for hours through a solitude as deep as that of a savannah.” The parish contains also the hamlet of Botley. Post town, Oxford. Acres, 900. Real property, £2, 520. Pop., 438. Houses, 92. The property is much subdivided. The manor was given, in 955, to Abingdon abbey; and belongs now to the Earl of Abingdon. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £97. Patron, alternately the Earl of Abingdon and the Rev. W. G. V. Harcourt. The church has a fine Norman doorway, and a good font of the decorated period; was reported, in 1859, as not good, but has since been repaired with red and black tiles, and with oaken substantial seats; and contains the tomb of Thomas Willis, who fell in the siege of Oxford in 1643, and a monument to W. Finmore, Fellow of St. John’s in 1646. The churchyard has remains of a decorated cross with fluted shaft. There is a national school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

Berkshire Archives & Family History Groups

Berkshire Record Office

Berkshire Family History Society

GENUKI Berkshire

Berkshire

England, Berkshire, Reading, Cemetery Records, 1843-1959

Newtown Road Cemetery

Berkshire BMD

Berkshire Gravestones

Find A Grave Berkshire

West Berkshire War Memorials

Calendar of Berkshire Wills

Wellington College Register 1859-1905

Abingdon Union Workhouse Census 1881

Bradfield Union Workhouse 1881

Cookham Union Workhouse 1881

Easthampstead Union Workhouse 1881

Great Faringdon Union Workhouse 1881

Hungerford Union Workhouse 1881

Newbury Union Workhouse 1881

Reading Union Workhouse 1881

Wallingford Union Workhouse 1881

Wantage Union Workhouse 1881

Windsor Union Workhouse 1881

Wokingham Union Workhouse

Berkshire Enclosure Maps

Berkshire History

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Berkshire; Oxfordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Abingdon
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Berkshire
  • Diocese: Pre-1836 – Salisbury, Post 1835 – Oxford
  • Rural Deanery: Oxford
  • Poor Law Union: Abingdon
  • Hundred: Oxford Borough
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts