Lambourn, Berkshire Family History Guide

Lambourn is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Berkshire.

Other places in the parish include: Eastbury, Chipping Lambourn, Bockhampton, Blagrave, Upper Lambourn, and Hadley.

Alternative names:

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1560
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1607

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

Lambourn

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

LAMBOURN, a small town, a township, a parish, a sub-district, and a hundred, in Hungerford district, Berks. The town stands on the river Lambourn, 2½ miles from the boundary with Wilts, and 7 N by W of Hungerford r. station; is sometimes called Chipping-Lambourn; dates from an ancient period; contains an ancient market cross, and many neat modern houses; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a post-office‡ under Hungerford, a police station, a church, Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, national schools, almshouses, and charities £46. The church is cruciform and large, variously Norman, early English, and perpendicular; has a massive square embattled tower, surmounted by four octagonal turrets; was extensively repaired in 1861; and contains memorial windows by Williment, a fine marble monument of John D. Estbury, and ornamented brasses of the Estburys and the Garrards. Almshouses for ten poor men are on the N side of the church, and have an endowed income of £223. A weekly market is held on Friday; and fairs are held on 12 May, the Friday after 12 Oct., and 4 Dec. The township includes the town, and also is sometimes called Chipping-Lambourn. Real property, £5,576. Pop., 1,214. Houses, 284. The parish contains also the tythings of Upper Lambourn, Blagrave, Hadley, and Eastbury and Bockhampton. Acres, 14,830. Real property, £16,478. Pop., 2,529. Houses, 571. The manor was given by Alfred to his nephew Alfrith; passed to the families of Fitzwarren and De Essex; and, with Lambourn Place, belongs now to H. Hippisley, Esq. A large proportion of the surface consists of chalk downs; many barrows are here; the Ridge way passes along the N; and the remarkable antiquities called the White Horse and the Blowing Stone, are in the vicinity of that way. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Eastbury, in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £204. Patron, the Bishop of Oxford. A chapel of ease, of recent erection, is at Eastbury; and a free school also is there. The p. curacy of Woodlands is a separate benefice. The sub-district contains also three other parishes in Berks, and two in Wilts. Acres, 33,964. Pop., 5,654. Houses, 1,270. The hundred comprises only the parishes of Lambourn and East Garston. Acres, 19,172. Pop., 3,118. Houses, 711.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Eastbury and Bockhampton

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Eastbury with Bockhampton, a tything in the parish of Lambourn, county of Berks; 1½ mile south-east by east of Lambourn, and north of the river Kennet. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists; and a daily school, endowed with £10 per annum. Acreage with the parish. Houses 87. A. P. £3,606. Pop., in 1801, 398; in 1831, 419.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851

Hadley with Blagrave

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Hadley with Blagrave, a tything in the parish of Lambourn, county of Berks; 3 miles south-south-west of Lambourn. Houses 84. A.P. £3,277. Pop., in 1801. 337; in 1831, 414. Other returns with the parish.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851

Bankrupts

Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.

Hill Leonard, Lambourn, Berkshire, grocer, Jan. 3, 1826.

Kimber Charles, Lambourne, Berkshire, brewer and maltster, May 3, 1823.

Pinnell William, Up Lambourn, Berks, farmer, March 22, 1831.

Waite John, Chipping, Lambourne, Berks, tailor & woollen draper, May 5, 1829.

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Berkshire
  • Civil Registration District: Hungerford
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Berkshire
  • Diocese: Pre-1836 - Salisbury, Post-1835 - Oxford
  • Rural Deanery: Newbury
  • Poor Law Union: Hungerford
  • Hundred: Lambourn
  • Province: Canterbury