Kintbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Berkshire.
Other places in the parish include: Holt and Barton.
Alternative names: Kentbury
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1607
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KINTBURY, or KENTBURY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Hungerford district, Berks. The village stands on the river Kennet, the Kennet and Avon canal, and the Great Western railway, 3¼ miles ESE of Hungerford; was anciently called Kennetbury; had formerly a weekly market and two fairs; and has now a railway station with telegraph, and a post office under Hungerford. The parish includes the tythings of Holt and Barton, and comprises 7,645 acres. Real property, £13,383. Pop., 1,802. Houses, 387. The property is much subdivided. The manor of Kintbury-Amesbury was given, by Queen Elfrida, to the nuns of Amesbury; went, in 1542, to John Cheyne; passed to the Darrells and others; and, in 1832, gave the title of Baron Amesbury of Kintbury-Amesbury toDundas, Esq. The manor of Kintbury-Holt belonged to Robert Bossu, Earl of Leicester; was given by him to the nuns of Eaton; and belongs now to the Earl of Craven. The manors of Denford belonged formerly to the Longespees, Earls of Salisbury; and belong now to G.Cherry, Esq. Holt Lodge is the seat of General J. Butler; Hollymount, of Job Buckeridge, Esq.; Forberry Grove, of E. J. Alderman, Esq.; Barton Court, of Rev. J. D. Dundas; Barrymore, of Capt. Read; Inglewood, of W. Dunn, Esq.; Mount Pleasant, of D. Taylor, Esq.; Wormstall, of Vickers, Esq.; and Elcot Park, of the Misses Shelley. Saxon coins were found in 1762. The making of bricks and whiting is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £800. Patron, the Rev. J. W. D. Dundas. The church is ancient; has a tower; and contains monuments of the Darrells and others. The p. curacy of Denford is a separate benefice, constituted in 1833. A new church, for another separate charge, was built at Crossway in 1866; is in the decorated English style; and has, at the SW angle, an entrance tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, national schools, and charities £20. Subdistrict contains also three other parishes electorally in Berks, two in Wilts, one in Hants, and one in Berks and Wilts. Acres, 23,733. Pop., 4,398. Houses, 941.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Berkshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
Civil Registration District: Hungerford
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Berkshire
Diocese: Pre-1836 - Salisbury, Post-1835 - Oxford
Rural Deanery: Newbury
Poor Law Union: Hungerford
Hundred: Kintbury Eagle