Greenham is a chapelry of Thatcham Ancient Parish in Berkshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1706
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1612
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Primitive Methodist
- Sydmonton, Hampshire
- Burghclere, Hampshire
- Ecchinswell, Hampshire
- Newtown, Hampshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GREENHAM, a village, a tything, and a chapelry, in Thatcham parish, Berks. The village stands on the S border of the county, near the river Kennet, the Kennet canal, and the Reading and Hungerford railway, 1½ mile SE of Newbury; and is practically, for trade and industry, suburban to Newbury. The tything includes the village and extends into the country. Post town, Newbury. Real property, £5,180. Pop., 1,167. Houses, 272. The manor was given by Maud, Countess of Clare, in the time of Henry VI., to the Knights Hospitallers; and it had a preceptory of these knights. The chapelry is less extensive than the tything, and was constituted in 1857. Rated property, £3,809. Pop., 593. Houses, 135. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £130. Patron, the Bishop of Oxford. The church is ancient, and was enlarged in 1825. There are chapels for Baptists and Primitive Methodists, and a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Skinner Samuel, Greenham, Thatcham, Berkshire, brewer, Jan. 30. 1838.
- County: Berkshire
- Civil Registration District: Newbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Berkshire
- Diocese: Pre-1836 - Salisbury, Post-1835 - Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Newbury
- Poor Law Union: Newbury
- Hundred: Faircross
- Province: Canterbury