Enborne is an Ancient Parish in the county of Berkshire.
Alternative names: Enbourne
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1665
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1607
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Presbyterian, and Primitive Methodist.
- East Woodhay, Hampshire
- Hampstead Marshall
- Woolton Hill, Hampshire
- Highclere, Hampshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ENBORNE, or Enbourne, a parish in Newbury district, Berks; adjacent to the Kennet and Avon canal, and near the Berks and Hants railway, 2¼ miles SW by W of Newbury. Post town, Newbury. Acres, 2,485. Real property, £3,674. Pop., 412. Houses, 90. The property is divided among a few. The Enborne river divides the parish, on the S, from Hants. A curious custom of free bench to a widow formerly prevailed in Enborne manor; is humorously described by Addison in the Spectator; and has been superseded by an equivalent in money. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £416. Patron, the Earl of Craven. The church is ancient but good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Berkshire
- Civil Registration District: Newbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Berkshire
- Diocese: Pre-1836 - Salisbury, Post-1835 - Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Newbury
- Poor Law Union: Newbury
- Hundred: Kintbury Eagle
- Province: Canterbury