East Lockinge

East Lockinge, Berkshire

Historical Descriptions

The gazetteers refer to East and West Lockinge. West Lockinge is a hamlet in the parish of Wantage.

East Lockinge

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Lockinge (East and West), a parish in tbe hund. and union of Wantage, county of Berks; 2½ miles east-south-east of Wantage, in the line of the Great Western railway. The parish includes the tything of Betterton and West Ginge. Living, a rectory, formerly in the archd. of Berks and dio. of Salisbury, now in tbe dio. of Oxford; rated at £31 10s.; gross income £549. Tithes of East Lockinge commuted in 1840; aggregate amount £520. Patron, the warden of All Soul’s college, Oxford. Here are 2 daily and 2 evening schools. Charities, in 1837, about £7 per annum. Acres 3,680. Houses 77. A. P. £3,853. Pop., in 1801, 305; in 1831, 373.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Lockinge (East and West), 1 m. E. Wantage. P. 325.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Betterton

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Betterton, a tything in the parish of Lockinge, Berks; 2½ miles east-south-east of Wantage, in the vicinity of the Berks and Wilts canal.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Betterton and West Ginge, in Lockinge parish. P. 17

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.