Brightwell is an Ancient Parish in the county of Berkshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1564
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1607
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- North Moreton
- Wallingford St Mary le More with All Hallows
- Little Wittenham
- Wallingford St Leonard
- South Moreton
- Dorchester, Oxfordshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BRIGHTWELL, a parish in Wallingford district, Berks; near the river Thames and the Great Western railway, 2½ miles WNW of Wallingford r. station. and 3½ E of Didcot. It has a post office under Wallingford. Acres, 2,024. Real property, £4,503. Pop., 703. Houses, 158. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Bishop of Winchester. An ancient castle stood here; and was destroyed about the time of Henry II. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, 674. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church was repaired in 1858: and there are a national school, and charities £25. Godwin, author of a work on Jewish and Roman antiquities, Bernard, the astronomer, and Wintle, the orientalist, were rectors.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Brightwell, 1 mile N.W. Wallingford. P. 611.
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Wells William, Brightwell, Berkshire, farmer, March 4, 1823.
Berkshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
Civil Registration District: Wallingford
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Berkshire
Diocese: Pre-1836 - Salisbury, Post-1835 - Oxford
Rural Deanery: Abingdon
Poor Law Union: Wallingford