Parish church: St. Lawrence
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1689
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1666
Parishes adjacent to Besselsleigh
- Abingdon St Helen with St Nicholas
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Besselsleigh, a parish in the hund. of Hormer, union of Abingdon, county of Berks; 4 miles north-west of Abingdon, and about 6 north of the Great Western railway. Living, a discharged rectory, formerly in the archd. of Berks and dio. of Salisbury, now in the dio. of Oxford; valued at £4 17s. 3½d.; gross income £200. Patron, in 1835, W. J. Lenthall, Esq. The inhabitants of this parish are entitled to send their children to the school at Appleton, erected and endowed by Sir R. Fettiplace. W. Lenthall, Esq., speaker of the Long parliament, resided at the ancient manor-house of Besselsleigh, having purchased it of the Fettiplace family. Pop., in 1801, 99; in 1831, 124. Houses 21. Acres 960. A.P. £1,153. Poor rates, in 1837, £52.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Besselsleigh, 3 m. N.E. Abingdon. P. 106
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
- County: Berkshire
- Civil Registration District: Abingdon
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Berkshire
- Diocese: Pre-1836 - Salisbury, Post-1835 - Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Abingdon
- Poor Law Union: Abingdon
- Hundred: Hormer
- Province: Canterbury