ASHBURY, a village anld a parish in Farringdon district, Berks. The village stands near the Ridgeway or Icknield-street, at the W end of Whitehorse vale, 3 miles SSE of Shrivenham r. station, and 7½ S of Farringdon; and it has a post office under Shrivenham. The parish includes also the tythings of Idstone and Odstone, and the hamlet of Kingstone-Winslow. Acres, 5,520. Real property, £6,828. Pop., 742. Houses, 153. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £375. Patron, Magdalen college, Oxford. The church is partly Norman, partly decorated English. There are a P. Methodist chapel, a national school, and charities £14.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Ashbury, 7 m. S. W. Wantage. P. 819.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Idstone, a tything in Ashbury parish, Berkshire; 59 miles north-west of Lambourn. Houses 24. Pop., in 1821, 154; in 1831, 192. Other returns with the parish.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.