Arborfield is an Ancient Parish in the county of Berkshire.
Parish church: St. Bartholomew
Parish registers begin: 1705
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
Parishes adjacent to Arborfield
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ARBORFIELD, a parish in Wokingham district, Berks; on the river Loddon, 4 miles W of Wokingham r. station. Arborfield Cross, 1¼ mile SE of the village, has a post office under Reading. Acres in the parish, 1,466. Real property, £3,975. Pop., 286. Houses, 65. The property is divided among a few. The manor formerly belonged to the Bullocks, one of whom was “Hugh of the Brazen Band;” and the old manor-house, called in “Our Village,” the “Old House at Aberleigh,” was the death place, in 1730, of Edward Standen, Esq., the person alluded to in the ballad of “Molly Mogg of the Rose.” The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £345. Patron, Lord Braybrooke. The church was built in 1863, and is in the middle pointed style.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Arborfield, 3 miles S.W. Oakingham. P. 300.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Arborfield Berkshire Cassey History Gazetteer and Directory of Berkshire and Oxfordshire 1868
Is a small village and parish, 5 miles from Reading, and 3 from Oakingham, in the hundred of Sonning, union of Wokingham, and diocese of Oxford. The church of St. Bartholomew is a handsome building, in the Early English style. The chancel windows are of stained glass: there are two memorial windows to members of the Towgood family : the church was built at a cost of upwards of £4,000, to which Sir William Brown, Bart., of Liverpool, was the principal contributor. The living is a rectory, annual value £388, with residence, in the gift of Lord Braybrooke. Arborfield Hall, the seat of Captain Thomas Hargreaves, J. P., is pleasantly situated on the banks of the river Loddon, with park and grounds. There is a mixed National school.The population in 1861 was 286; the acreage is 1,400. Sir Charles Russell, Bart., is lord of the manor. A portion of the names returned under Arborfield are out of the parish, but the ecclesiastical district of St. Catherine’s, Bearwood, is placed here for postal convenience.
Letters arrive from Reading at 8.35 a.m. ; dispatched at 5.35 p.m.
Conroy Sir Edward, Burt., J. P.
D’Aeth Rev. Wyndham C. H., B.A.
Hargreaves Captain Thomas, J.P.
Hayes Rev. Sir John, Bart.
Simmonds John, Esq., Newland lodge
Simmonds Thomas, Esq.
Allaway Brothers, farmers
Barlow Samuel, wheelwright
Biggs Ralph, farmer, New farm
Blake Isaac, farmer, Betty grove
Clacey Charles, Bramshill Hunt
Cumplen James, land steward to Captain Hargreaves, The hall farm
Cordrey William, builder and contractor
Cox Daniel, shopkeeper, Newland
Englefield Henry, farm bailiff
Englefield Trial, farmer
Giles James, baker, Newland
Hannington William, farmer, White Hall farm
Haynes Thomas, police officer
Hopwood Henry, shoemaker
Jeacocke C. E., farm bailiff, Newland
Matthews Ann, Bull inn
Mayers William, blacksmith, Newland
Pithers James, Swan, and butcher, Arborfield cross
Tayler Charles, tailor, Newland
Tubb Thomas, french polisher
Wells Richard, farmer, Cross lane
Source: Edward Cassey and Co.’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Berkshire and Oxfordshire 1868.
Berkshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Berkshire
- Civil Registration District: Wokingham
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Dean of Salisbury
- Diocese: Post-1835 – Oxford, Pre-1836 – Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Post-1845 – Reading, Pre-1846 – Salisbury
- Poor Law Union: Wokingham
- Hundred: Sonning
- Province: Canterbury