Appleford, Berkshire Family History Guide

Appleford is a chapelry of Sutton Courtenay Ancient Parish in Berkshire.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1563

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Appleford

  • Clifton Hampden
  • Long Wittenham
  • Culham
  • Dorchester
  • Sutton Courtenay
  • Didcot

Historical Descriptions

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Appleford, 6 m. S. Abingdon. P. 187.

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Directories

Online Directories

Appleford - Kelly's Post Office Directory 1869 - Google Books

Transcriptions

Appleford Cassey History Gazetteer and Directory of Berkshire and Oxfordshire 1868

Is a village and chapelry belonging to Sutton Courtney, but independent of it as relates to its parochial affairs; it is 3 miles south-east from Abingdon, and 55 from London, in the hundred of Ock, union of Abingdon, and diocese of Oxford. The chapel is a plain little old building. The living is a chapelry, annexed to Sutton Courtney vicarage, joint annual value £148, in the gift of the Dean and Canons of Windsor. Here is a free school endowed by Mr. Edmond Bradstock, who gave a messuage and 36 acres of land in perpetuity for its support; 20 poor boys are taught, 13 out of Sutton and 7 out of Appleford. There is a charity of £11 a yearfor the poor. Charles Eyston, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner.The population in 1861 was 288; the parish contains 843 acres; the soil is green sand and gravel.

Letters through Abingdon.

Bullock Richard, Black Horse

Costiff Samuel, schoolmaster

Ody William, Carpenters' Arms

Pullen Edward, farmer

Symonds Edward, farmer

Tyrrell James, farmer

Wichelow Henry, farmer

Source: Edward Cassey and Co.’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Berkshire and Oxfordshire 1868.

Appleford Kellys Berkshire Directory 1869

Appleford is a village and parochial chapelry, 3 miles south-east from Abingdon, and 55 from London, in the hundred of Ock, union and county court district of Abingdon, rural deanery of Abingdon, archdeaconry of Berks, and diocese of Oxford. The chapel is ancient, and is a small, plain edifice, consisting of nave, chancel, porch, and wooden tower with 3 bells. The living is a chapelry, annexed to Sutton Courtney vicarage, joint annual value £148, in the gift of the Dean and Canons of Windsor, and held by the Rev. R.J. Heward Rice, M.A., of Exeter College, Oxford; the Rev. William Jesse Pickard is curate. There is a charity of £11 a year for the poor. Here is a Free school, endowed by Mr. Edmond Bradstock, who gave a messuage and 36 acres of land in perpetuity for its support; 20 poor boys are taught, 13 out of Sutton and 7 out of Appleford. Charles Eyston, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is green sand and gravel; subsoil, chiefly gravel. The crops are wheat, barley, and roots. The population in 1861 was 288; the parish contains 843 acres.Parish Clerk, Thomas Clifford.

Letters through Abingdon, which is the nearest money order office

Free School, Samuel Costiff, master

Cox Mr. John

Steel Mrs

Symonds Mrs

Bullock Richd. Black Horse, & shopkpr

Ody Thomas, Carpenters' Arms, & carpenter

Pullen Edward, farmer

Symonds Edward, farmer

Tyrrell James, farmer

Viner Philip, shopkeeper

Wichelow Henry, farmer

Source: Post Office Directory of Northamptonshire, Huntingdonshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire and Oxfordshire; E. R. Kelly; Kelly & Co., London. 1869.

Administration

  • County: Berkshire
  • Civil Registration District: Abingdon
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Berkshire
  • Diocese: Post-1835 - Oxford, Pre-1836 - Salisbury
  • Rural Deanery: Abingdon
  • Poor Law Union: Abingdon
  • Hundred: Ock
  • Province: Canterbury