Aldworth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Berkshire.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1556

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist

Parishes adjacent to Aldworth

Parish History

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Aldworth. a parish in the hund. of Compton, union of Wantage, Berks ; 4 miles east by south of East Ilsley. Living, a vicarage formerly in the archd. of Berks and dio. of Salisbury, now in the dio. of Oxford; rated at £8 16s. 0½d.; gross income £472. Patrons, the master and fellows of St. John’s college, Cambridge. Beach farm, in this parish, is supposed to be the site of an ancient baronial castle and mansion belonging to the family of De la Beche. Pop., in 1801, 273; in 1831, 288. Houses 59. Acres 1,960. A. P. £2,201. Poor rates, in 1837, £155.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Aldworth, 3 miles S. E. Ilsley. P. 314.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Crosby’s Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales 1815

Aldworth, or Alder, (Berks) a small village, pleasantly situated on a hill about 4 miles S. E. of llsley. It appears to have been a place of great antiquity, and formed part of the possessions of the family of De la Beche, who flourished here during the reigns of Edward II. and III. The site of this mansion is now called Beche Farm, but no vestiges of the ancient structure can be traced. The church is a very old building, containing 9 capital monuments of the De la Beche family; and in the church-yard is a prodigiously large yew tree, the trunk measuring 9 yards in circumference at upwards of 4 feet from the ground. The shape is somewhat like that of an urn, and the branches spread to a considerable distance.

Source: Crosby’s Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales 1815; Baldwin, Cradock & Joy.

Parish Records

FamilySearch Catalog

Census

Census returns for Aldworth, 1841-1891

Church Records

Bishop’s transcripts for Aldworth, 1607-1836 Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Aldworth (Berkshire)

Parish chest and poor law records for Aldworth, 1707-1955 Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Aldworth (Berkshire); Aldworth (Berkshire)

Parish registers for Aldworth, 1556-1978 Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Aldworth (Berkshire)

Computer printout of Aldworth, Berkshire, England

Cemeteries

Monumental inscriptions at St. Mary’s Church, Aldworth, Berkshire Author: Berkshire Family History Society (England)

Poorhouses & Poor Law

Parish chest and poor law records for Aldworth, 1707-1955 Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Aldworth (Berkshire); Aldworth (Berkshire)

Schools

Admission registers, 1917-1960 Author: Aldworth Church of England School (Aldworth, Berkshire)

Parish chest and poor law records for Aldworth, 1707-1955 Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Aldworth (Berkshire); Aldworth (Berkshire)

Berkshire Archives & Family History Groups

Berkshire Record Office

Berkshire Family History Society

GENUKI Berkshire

Berkshire

England, Berkshire, Reading, Cemetery Records, 1843-1959

Newtown Road Cemetery

Berkshire BMD

Berkshire Gravestones

Find A Grave Berkshire

West Berkshire War Memorials

Calendar of Berkshire Wills

Wellington College Register 1859-1905

Abingdon Union Workhouse Census 1881

Bradfield Union Workhouse 1881

Cookham Union Workhouse 1881

Easthampstead Union Workhouse 1881

Great Faringdon Union Workhouse 1881

Hungerford Union Workhouse 1881

Newbury Union Workhouse 1881

Reading Union Workhouse 1881

Wallingford Union Workhouse 1881

Wantage Union Workhouse 1881

Windsor Union Workhouse 1881

Wokingham Union Workhouse

Berkshire Enclosure Maps

Berkshire History

Directories

Aldworth – Kelly’s Post Office Directory 1869 – Google Books

Aldworth Kellys Berkshire Directory 1869

Aldworth is a village and parish, 13 miles west from Reading, and 47 from London, in the hundred of Compton, union and county court district of Wantage, rural deanery of Walllngford, archdeaconry of Reading, and diocese of Oxford. The church of St. Peter is an ancient fabric of Mixed Gothic architecture, with tower, nave, south aisle and chancel: the interior contains several monuments, on which lie effigies of the family of De La Beche, which is supposed to have come over to England with William the Norman, and some of whom have been buried in this church: these figures, nine in number, were very much mutilated in Oliver Cromwell’s time: the foundation of a castle was laid by this family in the neighbourhood, upon the site of which now stands a farm-house: in the churchyard is a very ancient yew tree, which measures nine and a half yards round the trunk, and is supposed to be older than the church. The living is a vicarage, annual value £450, with residence, in the gift of St. John’s Collage, Cambridge, and held by the Rev. Francis L. Lloyd, B.D., of that college. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here. J. B. Monck, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is chalk and clay; subsoil, chiefly chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The population in 1861 was 275; the area in acres is under 2,000.Parish Clerk, Joseph Johnson.

Letters from Reading, via Pangbourne; the latter is the nearest money order office

Parish School, Miss Emma Davies, mistress

Lloyd Rev. Francis L. B.D. [vicar]

Belcher John, shopkeeper

Hammond John B. farmer

Hammond Richard B. farmer

Hunt James, wheelwright

Hunt Sarah (Mrs.), Bell inn

Johnson Joseph, cooper

Josey Charles, grocer & beer retailer

Robins James, farmer

Rowle Charles, farmer

White Charles (Mrs.), beer retailer

White John, blacksmith

Source: Post Office Directory of Northamptonshire, Huntingdonshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire and Oxfordshire; E. R. Kelly; Kelly & Co., London. 1869.

Aldworth Cassey History, Gazetteer and Directory of Berkshire and Oxfordshire 1868

Is a small village and parish, 12 miles west from Reading, and 47 from London, in the hundred of Compton, union of Wantage, and diocese of Oxford. The church of St. Peter is an ancient fabric, of Mixed Gothic architecture, with tower, nave, south aisle, and chancel: the interior contains several monuments, on which lie the effigies of the family of De La Beche, which is supposed to have come over to England with William the Norman, and some of whom have been buried in this church; these figures, nine in number, were very much mutilated in Oliver Cromwell’s time: the foundation of a castle was laid by this family in the neighbourhood, upon the site of which now stands a farmhouse: in the churchyard is a very ancient yew tree, which measures nine and a half yards round the trunk, and is supposed to be older than the church. The living is a vicarage, annual value £450, with residence, in the patronage of St. John’s College, Cambridge. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel. J. B. Monck, Esq., is lord of the manor of Aldworth, and chief landowner. The population in 1861 was 275; the area in acres is under 2,000. The soil is chalk and clay, and the crops are wheat, barley, and roots.

Letters through Pangbourne.

Lloyd Rev. Francis Llewelyn, B.D.

Belcher John, shopkeeper

Godfrey Charles, farmer

Hammond John B., farmer

Hammond Richard B., farmer

Hunt J., wheelwright

Hunt Sarah, Bell inn

Johnson Joseph, cooper

Jorey Charles, grocer, &c.

Robins James, farmer, Beech farm

Rowles Charles, farmer, and landowner, Pibworlh

White Charles, beer retailer

White John, blacksmith

Source: Edward Cassey and Co.’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Berkshire and Oxfordshire 1868.

Administration

  • County: Berkshire
  • Civil Registration District: Wantage
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Berkshire
  • Diocese: Pre-1836 – Salisbury, Post-1835 – Oxford
  • Rural Deanery: Newbury
  • Poor Law Union: Wantage
  • Hundred: Compton
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts