Aldermaston is an Ancient Parish in the county of Berkshire.
Alternative names: Admiston
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin: 1558
Parishes adjacent to Aldermaston
- Beenham Valence
- Stratfield Mortimer
- Pamber, Hampshire
- Baughurst, Hampshire
- Silchester, Hampshire
- Tadley, Hampshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ALDERMASTON, or Admiston, a village and a parish in Bradfield district, Berks. The village stands at the influx of the Emborne to the Kennet, 8 miles E of Newbury; and it has a station, 1½ mile distant, on the Great Western railway and a post office under Reading. It was formerly a market town; and it still has fairs on 6 May, 7 July, and 11 Oct. The Earl of Essex occupied it in 1644. The parish comprises 3,669 acres. Real pro perty, £4,718. Pop., 585. Houses, 129. The property is not much divided. Much of the surface is heathy. The park of Aldermaston Court includes 1,000 acres; and is one of the wildest and most diversified in the south of England. The mansion on it is a Tudor edifice, built in 1851; and contains many interesting relics of a remarkable structure which preceded it, the seat of the Forsters and the Congreves; and the old lodges, with spired tower and roof, are still standing. An ancient camp occurs near Aldermaston Soak. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value and patron, not reported. The church is an ancient edifice, with fine Norman doorway and interesting monuments.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Aldermaston, a parish and market-town in the hund. of Theale, union of Bradfield, Berks; 8 miles east of Newbury, to the south of the post-road to Reading. It stands on the river Kennet, which is here navigable. Living, formerly in the archd. of Berks and dio. of Salisbury, now in the dio. of Oxford; rated at £12 12s. 8½d. A market is held every Friday ; and there are fairs on the 6th May, 7th July, and 11th October, for horses, cattle, and pedlery. Pop., in 1801, 672; in 1831, 636. Houses 128. Acres 2,240. A. P. £3,596. Poor rates, in 1837, £285 — Aldermaston house, the seat of William Congreve, Esq., built in 1530, is remarkable for its fine old painted windows and its noble massive staircase adorned with statues. The hall is very lofty, and surrounded by a spacious gallery.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Aldermaston, 7 miles S. E. Newbury. P. 662.
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Crosby's Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales 1815
Aldermaston, (Berks.) A neat village, beautifully situated on an eminence that overlooks the river Kennet, and only 3 miles dist. from Silchester, the famous Roman station. It has 2 annual fairs, viz. May 6, and July 7. Population 678. Inn, the Hind's head. A road on the left to Basingstoke.
Gentlemen's Seats. Aldermaston House, (W. Congreve, esq.) and beyond on the right, Wasing House, (W. Mount, esq.)
Source: Crosby's Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales 1815; Baldwin, Cradock & Joy.
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Roberts Charles, Aldermaston, Berkshire, maltster, July 1, 1823.
Poorhouses & Poor Law
Berkshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
Aldermaston Cassey History, Gazetteer and Directory of Berkshire and Oxfordshire 1868
Aldermaston is a pleasant village, parish and railway station, 46 miles by rail and 49 by road from London, 10 from Reading, and 9 from Newbury, in the hundred of Theale, union of Bradfield, and diocese of Oxford. About 1½ miles from the village is Aldermaston Wharf, on the river Kennett, where a considerable business is done in timber, &c., also an extensive brewery and malting establishment, the property of W. J. Strange, Esq.
The church of St. Mary is an ancient structure, and stands in the park of D. H. D. Burr, Esq.: it consists of nave, chancel, and a tower, surmounted with a steeple, containing a clock: the pulpit is of finely carved oak, and the east window is of stained glass: in the chapel is a handsome marble tomb with recumbent figures of George Foster and his lady; there are also monuments in memory of Ralph Congreve, Esq., and others. The living is an unendowed vicarage, in the patronage of Daniel Higford Daval Burr, Esq. Aldermaston Court is a modern mansion in the Tudor-Elizabethan style of architecture, is delightfully situated on an eminence; the clock tower may be seen at many miles' distance. It is the seat of Daniel Higford Daval Burr, Esq., J.P., who is lord of the manor and owner of the greater portion of the soil. Aldermaston Park is five miles in circumference; it contains a lake which covers fourteen acres, and other ponds. There are some fine old oaks in the park. The ornamental grounds are very neatly laid out, and kept in nice order under the superintendence of Mr. Elsley, the gardener. Here is a parochial school, supported by subscription. Fairs are held on May 6th and July 7th, for horses and cattle; October 13th, for horses and pedlery. Near the village is a station on the Hungerford and Devizes branch of the Great Western Railway. The population in 1861 was 585; the acreage is 3,669. Letters arrive from Reading at 6.40 a.m.; dispatched at 6 p.m.
Burne Rev. John Butler, M.A.
Burr D. H. D., Esq., J.P., Aldermaston court
Fox George Fort, Esq., M.D.
Joplen Mr. James
Bowyer William, plumber
Beak George, Butt inn
Elsley Henry, head gardener, Aldermaston court
Goddard Thomas, builder
Goswell Mary Ann, shopkeeper
Goswell Robert, wheelwright
Joplen Elizabeth, grocer
Kersley Anthony James, miller, Aldermaston mill
Keep William, farmer, Ferris's farm
Knight Matthew, Hind's Head
Lawes Richard, tailor, &c.
Phillips R. W., land agent
Rivers Francis, parish clerk
Strange William Jeffreys, brewer, maltster and farmer
Stroud David, saddler
Wakelin James, farmer, Church farm
Tegg John, head gamekeeper
Wickham J. A., farmer, Wrag hill farm
Source: Edward Cassey and Co.'s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Berkshire and Oxfordshire 1868
Civil Registration District: Bradfield
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Berkshire
Diocese: Post-1835 - Oxford, Pre-1836 - Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Reading
Poor Law Union: Bradfield