Berkshire is bounded north by Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire being separated from them by the Thames; east by Surrey; South by Hampshire; West and Northwest by Wiltshire and Gloucestershire. It is about 40 miles long and 30 broad, containing 756 square miles, and 483,840 statute acres. Rivers, the Thames, the Kennett, the Loddon, the Ock, and the Lambourn. Berkshire is in the Province of Canterbury; in the diocese of Salisbury; and in the Oxford circuit. It is divided into 20 hundreds, named as follows: Beynhurst, Bray, Charlton, Compton, Cookham, Faircross, Faringdon,Ganfield, Hormer, Kintbury-Eagle, Lambourn, Moreton, Ock, Reading, Ripplesmere, Shrivenham, Sonning, Theasle, Wantage, Wargrave. There are 148 parishes, and 12 market-towns. Population, 161,147.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Berkshire Towns & Villages
Last updated on April 20th, 2017
Pursuant to the Acts for the Relief of Insolvent Debtors in England.
The following PRISONERS, whose Estates and Effects have been vested in the Provisional Assignee by Order of the Court for Relief of Insolvent Debtors, and whose Petitions and Schedules, duly filed, have been severally referred and transmitted to the County Courts hereinafter mentioned, pursuant to the Statute in that behalf, are ordered to be brought up before the Judges of the said Courts respectively, as herein set forth, to be dealt with according to Law :
Before the Judge of the County Court of Berkshire, holden at Reading, on Monday the 6th day of May 1850.
Alfred Wainwright, late of Pangbourne, Berkshire, in no business or profession, and before that of No.67, Oxford street, Reading, Berkshire, Butcher.
Last updated on March 22nd, 2017
Abingdon Union. (Formed 1 Jan. 1835 by Order dated 6 Dec. 1834.— Places marked thus * added 6 Oct. 1835 by Orders dated 12 Sept. 1835, as amended by Order dated 25 April 1836, and thus † added 29 Sept. 1858 by Order dated 19 July 1858).
The Abingdon poor-law union embraces a district of 77 square miles, containing 38 parishes, with a population, in 1831, of 16,674. The average annual expenditure for the poor in this district during the three years preceding the union, was £14,467; expenditure, in 1838, £8,335. A work-house has lately been erected at Abingdon for this union, at an expense of about £8,500.
The Abingdon Union House is a large building, in the form of the letter Y. Continue reading “Abingdon Poor Law Union Berkshire”
Beenham, 7 m. S.W. Reading. P. 421.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Bromhall, or Bromehall, a hamlet in the parish of Sunninghill, hund, of Cookham, county of Berks. ” Here was a small Benedictine nunnery, dedicated to St. Margaret, founded before the first year of King John. But by inquisition, taken 13° Henry VIII., it was found that Joan Rawlins, late prioress, having resigned, the only two nuns belonging to this house had abandoned it (in 1522), upon which the priory with the lands belonging thereunto were judged to be escheated to the crown, from whence it was granted, in the next year, by the interest and procurement of Bishop Fisher, to St. John’s college in Cambridge, which yet enjoys the same.” Tanner’s Not. Mod.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.