WOBURN is a market and union town, 15 miles south west from Bedford, 42 from London, 3 south east from Woburn Sands station on the Bedford and Bletchley branch of the North Western Railway, and 7 north from the Leighton Buzzard station of the London and North Western Railway, in the hundred of Manshead, county court of Leighton Buzzard, rural deanery of Fleete, archdeaconry Bedford, and diocese of Ely. The town is particularly neat, more than a quarter of a mile long, well built and lighted with gas1.

Status: Ancient Parish and a market town.

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1558
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Particular Baptist, Primitive Methodist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Table of Contents

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

WOBURN, a small town, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Beds. The town stands 2¾ miles SE of Woburn-S and S r. station, and 14 SW of Bedford; grew adjacent to a Cistertian abbey, founded in 1145, by Hugh de Bolebec; is now a seat of petty-sessions; carries on lace-making and straw-plait-making; consists of well built streets, intersecting one another at right angles; and has a head post-office, a hotel, a town hall, a market house rebuilt in 1830, a church rebuilt in 1868, Independent and Wesleyan chapels, a literary and scientific institution, endowed schools for boys and for girls, alms houses for 20 persons, a workhouse, a weekly market on Friday, and 4 annual fairs.

W.-Abbey was given, at the dissolution of monasteries, to Lord Russell; was visited, in 1572, by Queen Elizabeth,-in 1645, by Charles I.; was rebuilt, in the manner of a noble mansion, in 1774, by the fourth Duke of Bedford; is a quadrangular structure, 200 feet on each side, with an Ionic front; includes a saloon 35½ feet by 25½, a library 50 feet by 24½, and a picture gallery 111½ feet by 17¾; contains a rich collection of paintings, sculptures, and other works of art; and stands in a richly ornate park, 12 miles in circumference.

The parish comprises 3,200 acres. Real property, £8,987; of which £100 are in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 2,049; in 1861, 1,764. Houses, 364. The decrease of pop. was caused mainly by the removal of an extensive iron foundry. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £251. Patron, the Duke of Bedford.

The sub-district contains ten parishes. Acres, 16,791. Pop., 6,771. Houses, 1,475. The district includes Toddington sub-district, and comprises 29,603 acres. Poor rates in 1863, £8,473. Pop. in 1851, 12,075; in 1861, 11,684. Houses, 2,487. Marriages in 1866, 98; births, 368, of which 34 were illegitimate; deaths, 237,  of which 86 were at ages under 5 years, and 8 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 785; births, 3,903; deaths, 2,555.

The places of worship, in 1851, were 18 of the Church of England, with 4,610 sittings; 3 of Independents, with 788 s.; 4 of Baptists, with 734 s.; 11 of Wesleyans, with 1,800 s.; and 4 of Primitive Methodists, with 410 s. The schools were 12 public day-schools, with 1,076 scholars; 8 private day-schools, with 215 s.; 34 Sunday schools, with 2,800 s.: and 4 evening schools for adults, with 113 s.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

WOBURN (St. Mary), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Manshead, county of Bedford, 15 miles (S. W. by S.) from Bedford, and 42 (N. W. by N.) from London; containing 1914 inhabitants.

This town, which, having suffered severely from fire in the year 1595, and again in 1724, is almost entirely modern, occupies a gentle eminence on the main road from London to Leeds, and consists of four broad and handsome streets that intersect each other at right angles.

The approaches to it from the north and the south, are kept in excellent repair, and have been embellished with two ornamental houses corresponding in architectural character with the market-house in the centre of the town, an oblong edifice in the Tudor style, erected by the late Duke of Bedford in 1830, from designs by Mr. Blore. The sides of this building have each four cloister arches filled with ironwork; at the east end is a neat arched doorway, over which is an oriel window, and the north-east angle has a square tower, with a spiral roof of lead surmounted by a vane.

The lower part of the building is principally appropriated to the use of the butchers of the town and neighbourhood; the upper story comprises a splendid apartment for the manorial courts, and for the use of the county magistrates, who hold a petty-session for the hundred on the first Friday in every month. The market is on Friday; and fairs are held on Jan. 1st, March 23rd, and Oct. 6th: the spring fair is noted for an abundant supply of horses and cattle.

The manufacture of thread-lace formerly constituted a principal branch of business, but of late it has been entirely discontinued, and some attempts have been made to introduce that of plat from Tuscan straw, as a more healthy and advantageous occupation for the children of the poor. The Bedford branch of the London and Birmingham railway passes on the north-west of the town. Assemblies, respectably attended, occasionally take place during the winter months.

The town is singularly neat and improving; and the beauty of its site is greatly enhanced by the evergreen woods in its immediate vicinity, which were planted by John, fourth Duke of Bedford, and occupy 200 acres in extent. Near the market-house is a fountain or reservoir, in the Tudor style, for supplying water in case of fire, erected at the expense of the late duke.

The living is a donative curacy; net income, £251; patron and impropriator, the Duke of Bedford. The church, erected by Robert Hobbs, last abbot of Woburn, presents a singularly beautiful appearance, being nearly covered with ivy. The old quadrangular embattled tower, terminating in pinnacles and surmounted by a cupola, stood detached from the main building; it was taken down and rebuilt in the later English style, from the lower stage, in 1830, by the Duke of Bedford, under the superintendence of Mr. Blore, and was then joined to the north aisle by a vestry-room and gallery.

The tower rises to the height of 90 feet, and is surmounted by an octagonal stone lantern; at each angle is a lofty pinnacle, panelled and crocketed, with a finial, and the lantern has eight ornamented arches, supporting the roof, which rises spirally with crockets to a handsome finial. In the interior of the church is a curious alabaster monument of the Stanton family, consisting of twelve figures in the attitude of prayer; with some other ancient sepulchral memorials.

A fine altar-piece of the Nativity, by Carlo Maratti, was presented by the late Duke of Bedford, who also adorned the building with a new window of five lights, with enriched and cinquefoil arched mullions, and the upper part embellished with stained glass, and figures of the Evangelists and four of the Patriarchs.

There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans. Adjacent to the church, and now corresponding with it in style, is a free school established in 1582, by Francis, second Earl of Bedford; in 1808, the Duke of Bedford increased the original endowment to £50 per annum, and in 1825, a similar school for girls was founded under the patronage of the duke and duchess. Twelve almshouses were founded in 1672, and endowed by John, fourth duke, for the residence and maintenance of 24 widows. The poor-law union of Woburn comprises 16 parishes or places, and, according to the census of 1841, contains a population of 11,282.

In the immediate vicinity of the town is Woburn Abbey, with its noble park, the seat of his grace. It occupies the site of a Cistercian abbey founded in 1145, by Hugh de Bolebec, and the revenue of which, at the Dissolution, was valued at £430. 13. 11.; the site, with a great part of the lands, was granted in 1549, by Edward VI., to John, first Earl of Bedford.

In the middle of the last century the abbey was almost entirely rebuilt by Flitcroft, after which considerable enlargements were made under the superintendence of Mr. Henry Holland, who erected also the principal entrance to the park from London, a handsome facade decorated with Ionic three quarter columns, surmounted by the ducal arms and crest. The abbey is approached from this entrance through an extent of rich park scenery and by the margin of an artificial lake.

The mansion occupies the four sides of a quadrangle, and comprises various suites of apartments magnificently furnished, and adorned with paintings by the most celebrated masters, and a collection of upwards of 280 portraits of distinguished family and other characters. The library, 56 feet in length by more than 23 in breadth, is stored with the most splendid illustrative and other works, of the highest class. The principal state-rooms are in the west front, which is of the Ionic order; the private apartments adjoin the library on the south, having immediately before them a terrace arranged as an ornamental flower-garden.

A covered arcade conducts from the private apartments to the sculpture gallery, formed by the munificent taste of the late duke, 138 feet long by 25 wide, in which, amongst valuable works of art by ancient sculptors, are deposited some of the finest productions of Chantrey, Westmacott, and Thorvaldsen; the celebrated group of the Graces, by Canova; and the magnificent Lanti or Bedford Vase.

The pleasure-grounds contain many objects of great attraction; the park abounds with fine timber, and is well stocked with red and fallow deer: the oak-tree on which Hobbs, the last abbot of Woburn, was hanged pursuant to the mandate of Henry VIII., is still pointed out. In 1572, Queen Elizabeth made a journey to the mansion; and in 1645, when Charles I. visited the Earl of Bedford, the overtures of the parliamentary commissioners were privately submitted to him here, prior to being offered to him formally in public.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Bankrupts

Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.

Callaway James William, Woburn, Bedfordshire, draper, Feb. 16, 1841.

Еlеп Philip, Woburn, Bedfordshire, linen draper, June 18, 1825.

Gilbert John, sen., Woburn, Bedfordshire, innkeeper, Dec. 30, 1834.

Hurley Joseph, Woburn, Bedfordshire, plumber and glazier. April 19, 1842.

Parish Registers

Woburn Parish Registers 1558-1812

Woburn Parish Registers 1558-1812 Bedfordshire parish registers by Bedfordshire (England); Emmison, F. G. (Frederick George), 1907-1995, editor – Archive.org

Parish Records

FamilySearch

England, Bedfordshire, Woburn – Census ( 1 )
Census returns for Woburn, 1841-1891
Author: Great Britain. Census Office

England, Bedfordshire, Woburn – Church records ( 5 )
Bishop’s transcripts for Woburn, 1602-1833
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Woburn (Bedfordshire)

Church records, 1791-1837
Author: Chapel Street Chapel (Woburn, England : Independent)

Churchwardens and overseers records, 1616-1868
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Woburn (Bedfordshire)

Parish registers for Woburn, 1558-1963
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Woburn (Bedfordshire)

Woburn Congregational Church book, 1791-1837
Author: Congregational Church (Woburn, Bedfordshire); Byrne, G.; Woods, S.

England, Bedfordshire, Woburn – Church records – Indexes ( 3 )
Computer printout of Woburn, Beds., Eng

Computer printout of Woburn, Chapel Street Independent, Beds., Eng

Parish register printouts of Woburn, Bedford, England (Independent Church, Chapel Street) ; christenings, 1791-1837
Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

England, Bedfordshire, Woburn – History ( 2 )
The book of Woburn
Author: Spavins, Kenneth G.; Applin, Anne

An historical and topographical account of the town of Woburn
Author: Dodd, Stephen, 1777-1856

England, Bedfordshire, Woburn – Land and property ( 1 )
Catalogue of the Bedford estate (Russell family) papers

England, Bedfordshire, Woburn – Manors – Court records ( 1 )
Court records, 1571-1888
Author: Manor of Woburn. Court (Bedfordshire)

England, Bedfordshire, Woburn – Poorhouses, poor law, etc. ( 1 )
Churchwardens and overseers records, 1616-1868
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Woburn (Bedfordshire)

England, Bedfordshire, Woburn – Schools ( 1 )
Log books and admission registers, 1850-1928
Author: Woburn Council School (Woburn, Bedfordshire)

England, Bedfordshire, Woburn – Taxation ( 1 )
Land tax assessments for Woburn, 1797-1946
Author: Bedfordshire (England). County Council

Directories

Kelly’s Directory of the Wine and Spirit Trades, with which are included Brewers and Maltsters 1884

Marked thus * are Small Brewers who brew the beer they sell.

WOBURN

Hop Merchant
Sanders Edward Leighton st

Hotels
Bedford Arms, Thomas Puddephatt George st
Magpie, John Hill Bedford st

Soda Water Manufacturer
George Leighton st

WOBURN SANDS, Woburn

Maltsters
Down Henry & Frederick Wm
Fryer John M

Source: The Post office directory of the brewers and maltsters [afterw.] Kelly’s directory of the wine and spirit trades, with which are included brewers and maltsters By Kelly’s directories, ltd. 1884

The Post Office Directory of Bedfordshire 1869

WOBURN is a market and union town, 15 miles south west from Bedford, 42 from London, 3 south east from Woburn Sands station on the Bedford and Bletchley branch of the North Western Railway, and 7 north from the Leighton Buzzard station of the London and North Western Railway, in the hundred of Manshead, county court of Leighton Buzzard, rural deanery of Fleete, archdeaconry Bedford, and diocese of Ely. The town is particularly neat, more than a quarter of a mile long, well built and lighted with gas.

The old church of St Mary the Virgin has been pulled down, and a mortuary chapel erected on its site, but the pretty pinnacled tower remains.

A new church bas been built on a commanding site near the park gates, in Park street, which was consecrated on the 23rd September, 1868: it was built solely at the expense of the Duke of Bedford, and estimated to have cost £50,000: it is a fine specimen of the Continental Gothic that prevailed in the 13th: it consists of nave, chancel, aisles, vestry, organ loft, a large crypt under the chancel, and a western tower and spire 185 feet high.

The whole length of the church is 84 feet, and the breadth 42 feet; the centre roof is 61 feet high, supported by six pillars on each side, of Bath stone with exquisitely wrought foliated capitals; there are a handsomely carved pulpit and font of the same kind of stone; the walls, the arched roof, and the floor are of Portland stone; the seats in the nave and aisles, which are all free, are of plain solid oak; those in the chancel, as well as the communion rails, are of finely carved oak; the designs were furnished by Mr Clutton, architect to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and carried out by Messrs Myers and Co of London.

The register dates from the year 1580. The living is a donative curacy, yearly value £251, in the gift of the Duke of Bedford, and held by the Rev S F Cumberlege, MA of Christ’s College, Cambridge.

About the centre of the town, at the intersection of Leighton and Park streets, stands an appropriately designed Market House; the upper part is used as a town hall, and literary and scientific institution, which has an excellent library. There is a Friday’s market, and four fairs in the year – January 1st, March 23rd, July 13th, and October 6th. The petty sessions for the hundred of Manshead are also held here weekly.

The poor law union consists of the following parishes:- Aspley Guise, Battlesden, Chalgrave, Eversholt, Harlington, Hockliffe, Holcutt, Husborne Crawley, Milton, Bryant, Potsgrove, Ridgmount, Salford, Tilsworth, Tingrith, Toddington, and Woburn.

There is a fire brigade, consisting of 1 superintendent and 10 firemen; the engine house is situated close to the church. The inhabitants are employed in lace and straw plait making. The endowments of this town, derived almost entirely from the Bedford family, are considerable, and comprise schools for boys, girls, and infants, and 20 almshouses.

Woburn Abbey, the seat of the Duke of Bedford, conferred by royal favour upon the first Lord Russell, on the dissolution of monasteries, still retains its conventual appellation; it is a capacious quadrangular mansion, remarkable for its noble sculpture gallery, supported by elegant pillars of various marbles, from the ruins of ancient Rome, and containing Canova’s group of the Graces and the Lanti vase, for its fine collection of paintings, its well furnished library, particularly rich in maps, and a mosaic pavement from a Roman villa.

The park is very extensive, amply stocked with deer, and tastefully diversified with abundance of wood and water. Ringmount Park is another demesne of the Duke’s, at a small distance.

In the romantic wood of Aspley, belonging to the Duke, and nearly adjoining Woburn Park, broken fragments of the trees are frequently picked up from the ground in a petrified state, a circumstance ascribed to the extreme coldness of the soil, said to be derived from a neighbouring petrifying spring. Camden mentions that a ladder was to be seen in Aspley Monastery, which, formerly of wood, having been buried in the earth for some time, was dug up a perfect stone.

The farmyard at Woburn Park is famed as a great school of agriculture, and the gardens have also some scientific reputation. The Duke of Bedford is lord of the manor and the principal landowner. The soil is marl and gravel subsoil gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley. oats. beans, and peas. The area is 3,200 acres, and the population in 1861 was 1,764.

Parish Clerk, Joseph Rush, Market place

Official Establishments, Local Institutions &c.

POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE & Post Office Savings Bank – Joseph Sergeant, postmaster, High street. Letters arrive from London & all parts at 4.45 am; day mail from London & the South at 1 pm. Letters are dispatched for London, Bletchley, & the South; day mail 10.50 am, the North at 7 pm, & London & all parts at 10 pm. On sunday the box closes at 7.20 pm.

INSURANCE AGENTS:-
Liverpool & London & Globe, D.C. Sanders, Market pl
London Assurance, W.E.R. Freeman, Speedwell farm
Midland Hail Storm, Edward Sanders, Leighton street
Norwich Union Fire, R. Reddall, Bedford street
Pelican, D.C. Sanders, Market place
Phoenix Fire, D.C. Sanders, Market place
Sun Fire, G.B. Clarke, Park street; J Green High street; WH Smith Bedford street
Sun Life G.B., Clarke, Park street
Whittington Life, C. Abbott, London road

PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS:-
Excise Office, Bedford Arms hotel
Fire Brigade, J Gilby, superintendent
Gas Company, Leighton street, GB Clarke, secretary
Market Hall, Market place, John Smith, keeper
Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, Wm F Green secretary & treasurer
Union Workhouse, Mrs Ann Davis, matron; William Henry Smith, clerk to the board of guardians; Mrs Lucy Ann Hughes, schoolmistress
Stamp Office, High street, William Roberts, distributor

COUNTY MAGISTRATES:-
Clegg Rev J.M.A. Toddington
Coles Rev E. N., M.A. Pottesgrove
Cooper William Cooper, esq. Toddington
Gilpin Col. Richard Thomas M.P. The Grange Hockliffe
Grimshawe Charles Livius esq., Apsley house, Woburn
Hanmer Major W.E. Rushmere lodge, Leighton Buzzard
Parker C.S. esq. Aspley Guise
Russell Lord C.J.F. Woburn
Smart William Lynn esq. D.L. Linden, Eversholt
Smith Charles Henry esq. Aspley Guise, Woburn
Stuart C.P. esq. Aspley Guise, Woburn
Whyley Rev Gregory Edward, Eaton Bray, Dunstable

PUBLIC OFFICERS:-
Coroner for the Queen’s Honor of Ampthill, John Green, High street
Clerk of the General Meetings of Lieutenancy, John Green, High street
Clerk to the Magistrates John Green, High street
Clerk to the Commissioners of Taxes for Manshead & Flitt, John Thomas Green
Deputy Clerk to the Highway Board, Woburn District, William F Green M.A. High street
Superintendent of Police, William Ralph Young
Registrar of Births Deaths & Marriages, Woburn District, William Matthews
Relieving Office,r William Matthews

SCHOOLS:-
British (boys) John Assbee, master, Leighton street; (girls) Miss Jane Mitchell, mistress, Bedford street,
Infant, Miss Margaret Dolin, mistress, Bedford street

CONVEYANCE – Omnibus from the Bedford Arms to the Woburn Sands station, to meet every train to & from London CARRIERS:-
LUTON – Paternoster from the Oak, monday & friday, returning the following days
By railway, Sanders to & from London, Newport Pagenell, Sherrington, Emberton, Olney, Woolaston, Turvey, & the surrounding neighbourhood & the North of England; offices, Leighton street

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Bedford Duke of, Woburn abbey; & Belgrave square, London s.w.
Russell Lord Charles James Fox, J.P. George street

Andrews Rev James [Independent] Bedford street
Atterbury Miss, George street

Bennett Thomas esq Park farm

Castleden Mr George, George street
Circuit Miss, Bedford street
Crofts William esq Bedford street
Cumberlege Rev Samuel Francis, M.A. Rectory, Bedford street

Daniel Miss, Leighton street

Fry John Blount, esq. Bedford street

Green John esq High street
Green Wm Fredk esq M.A. High street

Hannell Mr William, Leighton street
Hawkins Benjamin Lawrence, esq. George street

Jones Mr Edward Market place

Meallin Mrs Leighton street

Porter Miss George street

Rogers Mrs Leighton street

Sanders Duncan Collett esq Market pl
Sanders Mrs
Shepherd Rev Richard MA curate
Smith Mr Williain Henry Bedford st

Veasey Henry esq Bedford street

Weldale Miss George street
Wilson George Thomas esq Park street
Wiseman William esq High street

COMMERCIAL

Barnwell Joseph, Royal Oak London road
Barr John farmer Horsemoor farm
Beard John baker Bedford street
Bedfordshire Leighton Buzzard Bank (Bassett, Son & Harris) open on fridays & fair days; draw on Barclay Bevan & Co London
Bennett Frederick butcher Chapel street
Bennett Thomas, land steward to Duke of Bedford; office Park farm
Bird Mary Mrs blacksmith Chapel street
Birtchnell William stone mason Leighton street
Botsford John shopkeeper Chapel street
Bunker Thos china & glass dealer & cabinet maker High st
Button James Black Horse Bedford street
Button John tinman & brazier Bedford street

Chappell Thomas Greyhound Leighton street
Clarke Elizbth & Jane Misses girls day school Bedford st
Clarke George grocer Market place
Clarke George Bowdler dentist & chemist Park street
Clarke Josiah printer & grocer Bedford street
Crouch RL Mrs farmer Ulcoate grange

Down & Co proprietors of the Farmers Friend, for the prevention of smut in wheat, Bedford st & at Woburn Sands
Down Frederick maltster & hop merchant
Dumpelton John tailor George street

Edmunds George Thomas butcher Chapel street
Emery Frederick grocer Market place

Fisher George Henry printer & stationer Park street
Fowler Henry & John brewers Leighton street
Foxley Josephi poulterer London road
Freeman WER farmer Speedwell farm

Garner Robert tailor London road
Gilby John draper & tailor High street
Girling Henry (Mrs) ironmonger George street
Green John solicitor High street
Green William Harris (Mrs), ladies boarding school Leighton street

Hacker Charles surveyor of works to the Duke of Bedford, Park Farm office
Hall Ann Miss baker Market place
Hammond David saddler Bedford street
Hammond Robert Wheatsheaf Market place
Harland Elizabeth Mrs milliner Market place
Harbert James Andrew upholsterer & mourning coach proprietor Market place
Hartwell William coal merchant Bedford street
Havart Mary (Mrs) ladies boarding school Park street
Hawkins Benjamin Lawrence surgeon George street
Haynes Ann (Mrs) blacksmith Bedford street
Healey James Bell Bedford street
Heighington William boot & shoe maker High street
Hensman William & Co agricultural implement makers, Castle works, Bedford street
Hill John Magpie Bedford street
Hill William farmer Cold Harbour farm
Horton William Atfield plumber & glazier Bedford street
House Eliza Miss milliner George street

Inwards Robert butcher Bedford street

Kemp George Shoulder of Mutton Leighton street
Kinns Edward tailor High street
Kirby Henry (Mrs) watch & clock maker High street

Lee William, Sun, London road
Lewis Jesse White Horse Leighton street
Lilley Robert James pastry cook Bedford street
London & County Bank (sub branch) (open on market & fair days) draw on head office London

McKay John linen & woollen draper clothier & tea dealer George street
Mapley John beer retailer Chapel street
Millard Peter Woods plumber & glazier Park street

Norman George coal merchant Leighton street

Pacey Henry ironmonger Bedford street
Perkins William linen draper Bedford street

Puddephatt Thomas, Bedford Arms family & commercial hotel & posting house, George street

Reddall Robert clock & watch maker Bedford street
Roberts William boot & shoe maker High street
Robinson William harness maker Market place
Roebuck James bread & biscuit baker Leighton street
Rush Joseph boot & shoe maker Market place
Rutland Thomas shoe maker Leighton street

Sanders Duncan Collett solicitor & agent for the Phoenix Fire & Pelican Life Offices Market place
Sanders Edward carrier merchant & factor Leighton street
Sergeant Joseph printer & stationer & post office Bedford st
Shemeld Susan Mrs shopkeeper Park street
Slinn John linen draper Market place
Smith Peter cooper Market place
Stanniford William bricklayer Leighton street
Steers John Mrs butcher Bedford street
Stephens Richard superintendent of woods to the Duke of Bedford Park Farm office
Stephenson Christopher farm bailiff to the Duke of Bedford

Thurlow Charles Rose & Crown Park street
Tomkins Thomas Birchmore Arms
Tucker Thomas hair dresser Market place
Turney Abraham grocer High street

Veasey Henry surgeon Bedford street

Wiseman William solicitor High street
Whitlock Fredk timber merchant & auctioneer Leighton st
Woburn Gas Co GB Clarke sec Leighton street
Woodstock Charles grocer & chemist Bedford street

Young James clerk of works Bedford street

Source: The Post office directory of Northamptonshire, Huntingdonshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, and Oxfordshire By Kelly’s directories, ltd 1869

Maps

OS Grid ReferenceSP9479133147 (all-numeric format: 494791 233148)

Service Map Topo
Bing Maps UK Map OS maps
StreetMap Map OS maps
Vision of Britain historical maps Map OS maps
Ordnance Survey OS maps
Defra’s MAGIC service Map
National Library of Scotland OS maps
Old OS maps OS maps
Old-maps.co.uk OS plans
Where’s the Path? Map
SABRE Maps Map OS maps

Administration

  • County: Bedfordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Woburn
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
  • Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
  • Rural Deanery: Fleete
  • Poor Law Union: Woburn
  • Hundred: Manshead
  • Province: Canterbury

1. The Post office directory of Northamptonshire, Huntingdonshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, and Oxfordshire By Kelly’s directories, ltd 1869

Related Parishes