WILLINGTON is a village and parish, 4½ miles east from Bedford, and 52 from London, in the hundred of Wixamtree, union and county court district of Bedford, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Ely. The Bedford and Cambridge Railway runs through the parish1.

Status: Ancient Parish

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1676
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist, Independent/Congregational

Table of Contents

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

WILLINGTON, a parish in the district and county of Bedford; 4 miles E of Bedford r. station. Post town, Bedford. Acres, 1,648. Real property, £2,185. Pop., 290. Houses, 54. The manor belongs to the Duke of Bedford. Park Farm House is part of the seat of Sir John Gostwick, master of the horse to Henry VIII. Some Roman remains were found in 1860. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £235. Patron, the Duke of Bedford. The church is later English. There is a parochial school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Registers

Willington Parish Registers 1602-1812

Willington Parish Registers 1602-1812 Bedfordshire parish registers by Bedfordshire (England); Emmison, F. G. (Frederick George), 1907-1995, editor – Archive.org

Parish Records

FamilySearch

England, Bedfordshire, Willington – Cemeteries ( 1 )
The monumental inscriptions of St. Lawrence, Willington, Bedfordshire, 1667-1913
Author: Matthews, A. Weight (Arthur Weight), 1865-1937; Bedfordshire Family History Society; Church of England. Parish Church of Willington (Bedfordshire)

England, Bedfordshire, Willington – Census ( 1 )
Census returns for Willington, 1841-1891
Author: Great Britain. Census Office

England, Bedfordshire, Willington – Church records ( 3 )
Bishop’s transcripts for Willington, 1602-1878
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Willington (Bedfordshire)

Churchwardens and overseers accounts and records, 1711-1900
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Willington (Bedfordshire)

Parish registers for Willington, 1676-1983
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Willington (Bedfordshire)

England, Bedfordshire, Willington – Church records – Indexes ( 1 )
Computer printout of Willington, Bedford, England

England, Bedfordshire, Willington – History ( 1 )
The Gostwicks of Willington and other studies
Author: Hull, Peter; Gilmore, G. D.; Dickens, Arthur Geoffrey; Fines, John; Finberg, H. P. R.

England, Bedfordshire, Willington – Manors – Court records ( 1 )
Court records, 1382-1674
Author: Manor of Willington. Court (Bedfordshire)

England, Bedfordshire, Willington – Poorhouses, poor law, etc. ( 1 )
Churchwardens and overseers accounts and records, 1711-1900
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Willington (Bedfordshire)

England, Bedfordshire, Willington – Schools ( 1 )
Churchwardens and overseers accounts and records, 1711-1900
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Willington (Bedfordshire)

England, Bedfordshire, Willington – Taxation ( 1 )
Land tax assessments for Willington, 1797-1832
Author: Bedfordshire (England). County Council

Directories

The Post Office Directory of Bedfordshire 1869

WILLINGTON is a village and parish, 4½ miles east from Bedford, and 52 from London, in the hundred of Wixamtree, union and county court district of Bedford, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Ely. The Bedford and Cambridge Railway runs through the parish.

There is a Parochial school. Most of the cottages in this and the adjoining parish were erected by the late Duke of Bedford on his model plan, which is well adapted to the comfort and convenience of the occupants.

In 1860 some Roman remains were discovered here which were sent to Woburn Abbey. The Park farm-house, now in the occupation of Mr John Purser, is a portion of the ancient residence of Sir John Gostwick, Master of the Horse to King Henry VIII., who once held a court therein. The Duke of Bedford is lord of the manor and owner of the soil. Goggs Hall, now Hill House farm, is a mile south east: and Mill farm half a mile east. The prinacipal crops are wheat barley peas and beans. The population in 1861 was 290; area 1,648 acres.
Parish Clerk, William Spavins

Orlebar Rev Augustus M.A. Vicarage

COMMERCIAL

Brimley Joseph farmer Road farm
Brown Thomas farmer Hill farm

Nottingham William shoe maker

Oliver Thomas shopkeeper

Palmer Samuel farmer Mill farm
Purser Henry farmer Park farm
Purser John farmer Park farm

Sale Thomas shopkeeper

Twitchell Thomas farmer Croots farm

Source: The Post office directory of Northamptonshire, Huntingdonshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, and Oxfordshire By Kelly’s directories, ltd 1869

Maps

OS Grid ReferenceTL1144849439 (all-numeric format: 511448 249440)

Service Map Topo Aerial Other
Bing Maps UK Map OS maps Aerial Bird’s Eye
StreetMap Map OS maps Convert
Vision of Britain historical maps Map OS maps
Ordnance Survey OS maps See other OS
map links below
Defra’s MAGIC service Map
National Library of Scotland OS maps
Old OS maps OS maps
Old-maps.co.uk OS plans
Where’s the Path? Map
SABRE Maps Map OS maps

Administration

  • County: Bedfordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Bedford
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
  • Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
  • Rural Deanery: Bedford
  • Poor Law Union: Bedford
  • Hundred: Wixamtree
  • Province: Canterbury

1. The Post office directory of Northamptonshire, Huntingdonshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, and Oxfordshire By Kelly’s directories, ltd 1869

Related Parishes