Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Parish church: St. James
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1846
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1846
Parishes adjacent to Silsoe
Historical Descriptions of Silsoe
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SILSOE, a village and a chapelry in Flitton parish, Beds. The village stands near the Midland railway, 3½ miles ESE of Ampthill; was once a market town; and has a post-office under Ampthill, a hotel, and fairs on 13 May and 21 Sept. The chapelry comprises 2,160 acres. Real property, £3,848. Pop., 713. Houses, 150. The manor, with Wrest Park, belongs to Countess Cowper. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ely. Value, £150. Patron, Countess Cowper. The church was rebuilt in 1830, at a cost of £5,000. There are public schools and a dispensary.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Silsoe, or Silvishoe, co. Bedford.
P. T. Bedford (50) 10½ m. S b E. Pop. 568. Fairs, May 13 and Sep. 21, for cattle of all sorts.
A disused market-town and chapelry in the parish of Flitton and hundred of Flitt; living, a curacy subordinate to the vicarage of Flitton, in the archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of Lincoln, not in charge; chapel ded. to St. James; patronage with Flitton vicarage.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Flint James, Silsoe, Bedfordshire, shopkeeper, July 11, 1834.
Haytread John, Silsoe, Bedfordshire, innkeeper and farmer, Aug. 2, 1833.
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Ampthill
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
Diocese: Pre-1837 - Lincoln, Post-1836 - Ely
Rural Deanery: Fleete
Poor Law Union: Ampthill