Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Woodhill
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1604
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ODELL, a village and a parish in the district and county of Bedford. The village stands on the river Ouse, 1¼ mile E N E of Harrold, and 2½ W by S of Sharnbrook r. station; was originally called Woodhill, now corrupted into Odell; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Bedford. The parish comprises 2,980 acres. Real property, £3,295. Pop. in 1851, 538; in 1861, 494. Houses, 100. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Alston, Esq. Odell Castle is the residence of G. Repton, Esq., and Lady Jane Repton; stands on an eminence, commanding a fine view; has extensive and tasteful pleasure-grounds; and succeeded an old seat of the Brays. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £396. Patron,Alston, Esq. The church is later English, in good condition, overgrown with ivy; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with pinnacled tower; and contains a good old screen, and some monuments of the Alstons. There are national schools.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Bedford
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
Rural Deanery: Clapham
Poor Law Union: Bedford