MAULDEN, a village and a parish in Ampthill district, Beds. The village stands 1½ mile E by S of Ampthill, 3 from the Ampthill station on the Midland railway, opened in 1868, and 4½ E by S of Ampthill Northwestern r. station; is a considerable place; and carries on some manufacture in straw-plait and lace. The parish comprises 2,574 acres; and its Post town is Ampthill. Real property, £4,513. Pop. in 1851, 1,457; in 1861, 1,563. Houses, 323. The manor belonged once to the poet Pomfret, and belongs now to the Duke of Bedford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £438. Patron, the Marquis of Ailesbury. The church was rebuilt, on an enlarged scale, in 1859; is in the decorated English style; retains the old tower, in well-restored condition; and comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with S porch. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and charities £57.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.