Lower Gravenhurst is an Ancient Parish in the county of Bedfordshire.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1705
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1602
Parishes adjacent to Lower Gravenhurst
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GRAVENHURST (LOWER), a parish in Ampthill district, Beds; 3½ miles SW of Shefford r. station, and 5½ ESE of Ampthill. Post town, Silsoe, under Ampthill. Acres, 1,240. Real property, with Upper Gravenhurst, £2,340. Rated property of L. G. alone, £613. Pop., 60. Houses, 13. The property is divided among a few. There are extensive brickworks. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £243. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was rebuilt, in 1400, by R. de Bilhemore; has a brass of him; and is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Gravenhurst (Lower), a parish in Flitt hund., union of Ampthill, county of Bedford; 5½ miles east-south-east of Ampthill. Living, a rectory, formerly in the archd. of Bedford and dio. of Lincoln, now in the dio. of Ely; rated at £7 12s. 11d.; gross income £244. Patron, the Lord-chancellor. Tithes commuted in 1820. Acres 1,240. Houses 8. A.P. £1.435. Pop., in 1801, 48; in 1831, 77.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Gravenhurst, (Lower), 2 m. S.E. Selsoe. P. 50
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Bedfordshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Bedfordshire
- Civil Registration District: Ampthill
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
- Diocese: Pre-1837 - Lincoln, Post-1836 - Ely
- Rural Deanery: Fleete
- Poor Law Union: Ampthill
- Hundred: Flitt
- Province: Canterbury