This is very small parish, lying in the north-east corner of Bedfordshire. The adjoining parishes are Tempsford and Eaton Socon in Bedfordshire, and Eynesbury Hardwick, Waresley and Tetworth in Huntingdonshire.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Denys
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1661
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1602
Parishes adjacent to Little Barford
Historical Descriptions of Little Barford
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BARFORD (Little), a parish in the district of St. Neot's and county of Bedford; on the river Ouse, and on the Great Northern railway, at the verge of the county, 3 miles S of St. Neot's. Post Town, St. Neot's. Acres, 1,188. Real property, £1,251. Pop., 91. Houses, 26. The property is all in one estate. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £254. Patron, W. Allington, Esq. The church is old but good. Charities, £7.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Barford (Little), 5m. N.W. Potton. P. 190.
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Barford (Little), a parish in the hund. of Biggleswade, union of St. Neots, county of Bedford; 2 miles south-west from St. Neots, Hants. Living, a rectory in the archd. of Bedford and dio. of Lincoln; rated at £13 16s. 3d.; gross income £256. Patron, in 1835, J. Alington. Tithes of this parish, the property of the clerical rector, were commuted in 1778. There is a daily school here. Charities connected with the parish produce £6 15s. per annum; the greater part is allotted to the education of poor children. Pop., in 1801, 80; in 1831, 176. Houses 25. Acres 1,190. A. P. £1,260. Poor rates, in 1837, £47
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
1818 Digest of Returns to Circular Letter from the Select Committee on Education of the Poor, &c.
Schools - The Rev. Mr. Bamford, who died 1720, left 3l. per ann. to the minister, church wardens and overseer of the parish, to teach 6 poor children to read and write, which has not been executed for several years past, and the income has accumulated to 35l. for which the present rector pays 5l. per cent interest.
A school has lately been established, in which all the children who are of sufficient age receive instruction three evenings in the week and on Sundays; the numbers amount at present to 20.
Observations - The poor are generally desirous that their children should be educated.
Bedfordshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Bedfordshire
- Civil Registration District: St Neots
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
- Diocese: Pre-1837 - Lincoln, Post-1836 - Ely
- Rural Deanery: Shefford
- Poor Law Union: St Neots
- Hundred: Biggleswade
- Province: Canterbury