Lidlington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Bedfordshire.
Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Litlington
Parish church: St. Margaret
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1560
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602
Nonconformists include: Wesleyans Methodist, Primitive Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Lidlington
Historical Descriptions of Lidlington
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LIDLINGTON, a village and a parish in Ampthill district, Beds. The village stands adjacent to the Bedford and Bletchley railway, 3 miles W by N of Ampthill; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Ampthill. The parish comprise s 2,520 acres. Real property, £4,050. Pop., 845. Houses, 179. The property is divided among a few. The manor and most of the Land belong to the Duke of Bedford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £174. Patron, the Duke of Bedford. The church is finely situated; but, from the nature of the foundation, is unsafe. The churchyard contains a marble monument to Mrs. W.C. Bentinck. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and charities £45.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Lidlington, or Litlington, co. Bedford.
P. T. Ampthill (45) 3½ m. W. b N. Pop. 739.
A parish in the hundred of Redborn-Stoke; living, a dis. vicarage in the archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of Lincoln; valued in K. B. 11l. ; church ded. to All Saints.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Bedfordshire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
Civil Registration District: Ampthill
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
Diocese: Pre-1837 - Lincoln, Post-1836 - Ely
Rural Deanery: Fleete
Poor Law Union: Ampthill