Keysoe is an Ancient Parish in the county of Bedfordshire.

Status: Ancient Parish

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1735
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602

Nonconformists include: Baptist

Table of Contents

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

KEYSOE, a village and a parish in the district and county of Bedford. The village stands 4 miles SSW of Kimbolton,and 5½ ENE of Sharnbrook r. station; was anciently called Caissot; is a very scattered place, connected at the ends with Keysoe-Row and Brook-End; and has a post office under St. Neots.

The parish comprises 3,564 acres. Real property, £4,023. Pop., 867. Houses, 186. The property is subdivided. The principal manor belongs to John S. Crawley, Esq. A broken piece of ground in the NE is thought to have been the site of a Romano-British town.

The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £225. Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is decorated and later English, in good condition; consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with W tower and spire; and contains an early English font and a piscina.

There are Baptist chapels at Keysoe-Row and Brook-End, and a national school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

KEYSOE (St. Mary), a parish, in the hundred of Stodden, union and county of Bedford, 4 miles (S. S. W.) from Kimbolton; containing 757 inhabitants.

The parish is intersected by the road from Bedford to Kimbolton, and comprises by measurement 3564 acres, of which 2200 are arable, 900 pasture and meadow, and 350 woodland, chiefly of oak: the surface is varied. Limestone is quarried for the roads.

The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £8; net income, £150; patrons and impropriators, the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1803: the glebe comprises 166 acres. The church is chiefly later English, with some remains of the Norman and decorated styles; it has a lofty and handsome spire, and contains a curious Roman font with a Norman-French inscription.

Here are two places of worship for Baptists.

In a field in the parish, still called “Cromwell’s Close,” Cromwell, it is said, for a time encamped. On the glebe land is a strong chalybeate spring.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Parish Records

FamilySearch Catalogue Records – Free

Church records

Bishop’s transcriptsfor Keysoe, 1602-1876

Churchwardens, overseers, and surveyors records, 1702-1916

Parish register of Keysoe, 1602-1812

Parish register transcripts, 1602-1812

Parish registers for Keysoe, 1735-1983

Church records – Indexes

Computer printout of Keysoe, Beds., Eng


Monumental inscriptions in the parish of Keysoe, Brook End, Baptist burial ground, 1742-1976

The monumental inscriptions of the Baptist Chapel, Keysoe Row East, Bedfordshire

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Churchwardens, overseers, and surveyors records, 1702-1916


Census returns for Keysoe, 1841-1891


Log book, 1905-1929 Keysoe Council School (Keysoe, Bedfordshire)


Land tax assessments for Keysoe, 1797-1949


OS Grid ReferenceTL0752462723 (all-numeric format: 507524 262723)

Service Map Topo
Bing Maps UK Map OS maps
StreetMap Map OS maps
Vision of Britain historical maps Map OS maps
Ordnance Survey OS maps
Defra’s MAGIC service Map
National Library of Scotland OS maps
Old OS maps OS maps OS plans
Where’s the Path? Map
SABRE Maps Map OS maps


  • County: Bedfordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Bedford
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
  • Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
  • Rural Deanery: Eaton
  • Poor Law Union: Bedford
  • Hundred: Stodden
  • Province: Canterbury

Related Parishes