Bedfordshire is bounded, North by Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire, East by Hertfordshire and Cambridgeshire, South by Buckinghamshire and Hertfordshire, and West by Buckinghamshire. It is of an oval form, about 34 miles long and 19 broad. The area is 463 square miles, or 295,320 statute acres. Rivers, the Ouse, and the Ivel. This county is in the Province or Canterbury, in the Diocese or Lincoln, and in the Norfolk Circuit. — It is divided into nine hundreds; namely, Barford, Biggleswade, Clifton, Flitt, Manshead, Redbornstoke, Stodden, Willey, Wixamtree. There are 131 Parishes and Townships, and 10 Market Towns. population, 107,936.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850