Goldington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Bedfordshire.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish registers begin:
Parish registers: 1581
Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
Parishes adjacent to Goldington
- Bedford St Paul
- Bedford St Peter
- Bedford St Cuthbert
- Bedford St John
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GOLDINGTON, a village and parish in the district and county of Bedford. The village stands near the river Ouse and the Bedford and Cambridge railway, 1¾ mile NE by E of Bedford; and has a post office under Bedford. The parish comprises 2,735 acres. Real property, £5,684. Pop., 609. Houses, 130. The property is subdivided. A fort was anciently at Castle hill; and a priory, at Newenham. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £270. Patron, the Duke of Bedford. The church consists of nave and aisles, with square tower; has brasses of 1507 and 1585; and was repaired and enlarged in 1859. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and charities £14.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Goldington, 1½ m. N. W. Bedford. P. 509.
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Clayton John, jun., Goldington, Bedfordshire, miller, March 2. 1830.
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Bedford
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
Diocese: Pre-1837 - Lincoln, Post-1836 - Ely
Rural Deanery: Bedford
Poor Law Union: Bedford