Everton with Tetworth is an Ancient Parish partly in Bedfordshire and partly in Huntingdonshire. In 1844 the part of the hamlet of Tetworth in Bedfordshire was transferred to Huntingdonshire.

Alternative names: Everton with Tetworth

Other places in the parish include: Tetworth.

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1650
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604

Nonconformists include: Methodist

Table of Contents

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

Everton

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

EVERTON, a parish in Biggleswade district, Beds; on the verge of the county, 1¾ mile NW of Potton r. station, and 4½ NNE of Biggleswade. It has a post office under St. Neots. Acres, 975. Real property, £1, 300. Pop., 248. Houses, 49. Everton Hall is a chief residence. An extensive tract of bog has been drained by steam power. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Tetworth, in the diocese of Ely. Value, £200. Patron, Clare Hall, Cambridge. The church is small. There are a national school and charities £6.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

EVERTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Biggleswade, and chiefly in the hundred of Biggleswade, county of Bedford, 4¾ miles (N. by E.) from Biggleswade; containing 233 inhabitants, and comprising 3470 acres. The living is a vicarage, with that of Tetworth united, valued in the king’s books at £6. 13. 9., and in the gift of Clare Hall, Cambridge, with a net income of £200. The church, which is in the county of Huntingdon, has been repewed.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Tetworth

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

TETWORTH, a parish in St. Neots district, Hunts: 3¼ miles NE of Potton r. station. Acres, 1,446. Pop., 261. Houses, 48. The manor belongs to the Hon. O. Duncombe. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Everton. The church is partly Norman.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

TETWORTH, with Everton, a parish, in the union of St. Neot’s, hundred of Toseland, county of Huntingdon, 3 miles (N. by W.) from Potton; containing, exclusively of Everton, which is in Biggleswade hundred, Bedfordshire, 235 inhabitants. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for £205, and the vicarial for £70.—See Everton.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Parish Records

FamilySearch

Everton

England, Bedfordshire, Everton – Cemeteries ( 1 )
Everton cum Tetworth (St. Mary’s), Huntingdonshire : monumental inscriptions, church interior, 1624-1885; churchyard, 1704-2001
Author: Stephenson, M. (Mike); Matthews, A. Weight (Arthur Weight), 1865-1937

England, Bedfordshire, Everton – Census ( 1 )
Census returns for Everton, 1841-1891
Author: Great Britain. Census Office

England, Bedfordshire, Everton – Church records ( 2 )
Church and public records, 1630-1872
Author: Everton (Bedfordshire)

Parish register of Everton, 1604-1812
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Everton (Bedfordshire)

England, Bedfordshire, Everton – Manors – Court records ( 1 )
Court records, 1711
Author: Manor of Everton. Court (Bedfordshire)

England, Bedfordshire, Everton – Poorhouses, poor law, etc. ( 1 )
Church and public records, 1630-1872
Author: Everton (Bedfordshire)

England, Bedfordshire, Everton – Schools ( 1 )
Log book, 1874-1914
Author: Everton and Tetworth Board School

England, Bedfordshire, Everton – Taxation ( 1 )
Land tax assessments for Everton, 1797-1832, 1915-1949
Author: Bedfordshire (England). County Council

Tetworth

England, Huntingdonshire, Tetworth – Census ( 1 )
Census returns for Tetworth, 1841-1891
Author: Great Britain. Census Office

England, Huntingdonshire, Tetworth – Schools ( 1 )
Log book, 1874-1914
Author: Everton and Tetworth Board School

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Everton, Bedfordshire

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Tetworth, Huntingdonshire

FreeReg

Place Churches Registers Search
Everton Search FreeReg
Tetworth Search FreeReg

Directories

The Post Office Directory of Bedfordshire 1869

EVERTON is a hamlet or township on the confines Bedfordshire and Huntingdonshire, and situated in the parishes of Everton and Tetworth, which are ecclesiastically united, and bare a common church standing in Huntingdonshire; but they belong to separate counties, districts, and unions.

The parish of Everton is wholly in Bedfordshire. The village is situated upon elevated ground, commanding an extensive view of the surrounding country, distant 2 miles north west from Potton, 11 east from Bedford, 6 north from Biggleswade, and 2½ from the Sandy station, in the hundred, union, and county court district of Biggleswade, rural deanery of St Neots, archdeaconry of Huntingdon, and diocese of Ely.

There is a National school for boys and girls, supported by voluntary contributions.

Parish Clerk James Jeffries

Post Office John Peck receiver. Letters arrive from St Neots at 6.40 am; dispatched at 5.50 pm. The nearest money order offices are at Potton, Sandy & St Neots.

National School (boys & girls) Mrs Judith Lawson, mistress

Horner Rev Joseph MA Vicarage

COMMERCIAL

Brashier John Thornton’s Arms & farmer
Brown William shopkeeper
Danes Jerome farmer
Danes Parker farmer
Folbigg Olney farmer Port Mahon farm
Gilbert William shopkeeper
Johnson John Butler Mrs farmer
Pressland Daniel farmer
Thompson Jeremiah baker & blacksmith

Source: The Post office directory of Northamptonshire, Huntingdonshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, and Oxfordshire By Kelly’s directories, ltd 1869

Maps

Service Map Topo
Bing Maps UK Map OS maps
StreetMap Map OS maps
Vision of Britain historical maps Map OS maps
Ordnance Survey OS maps
Defra’s MAGIC service Map
National Library of Scotland OS maps
Old OS maps OS maps
Old-maps.co.uk OS plans
Where’s the Path? Map
SABRE Maps Map OS maps

Administration

  • County: Bedfordshire; Huntingdonshire
  • Civil Registration District: Biggleswade; St Neots
  • Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of Lincoln and of the Archdeacon in the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon
  • Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
  • Rural Deanery: St Neots
  • Poor Law Union: St Neots
  • Hundred: Biggleswade; Toseland
  • Province: Canterbury

Related Parishes