Dunton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Bedfordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Millo and Newton.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1553
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Independent/Congregational.
Parishes adjacent to Dunton
Historical Descriptions of Dunton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DUNTON, a parish in Biggleswade district, Beds; adjacent to the boundary with Herts and Cambridge, 3½ miles ESE of Biggleswade town and r. station. It contains Millo and Newtown; and its post town is Biggleswade. Acres, 2, 840. Real property, £3, 090. Pop., 518. Houses, 105. The property is subdivided. Dunton lodge is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £120. Patron, Earl Brownlow. The church was recently rebuilt. There are a national school, and charities £5.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Dunton with Millo, a parish in the hund. of Biggleswade, union of Biggleswade, county of Bedford; 3½ miles east by south of Biggleswade. Living, a discharged vicarage, formerly in the archd. of Bedford and dio. of Lincoln, now in the dio. of Ely; rated at £10; no return. Patron, in 1835, Earl Spencer. Here are 3 daily schools. Acres 2,840. Houses 75. A.P. £2,428. Pop., in 1801, 336; in 1831, 413. Poor rates, in 1837, £304.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Dunton with Millo, 3 m. S.W. Biggleswade. P. 434
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Biggleswade
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
Rural Deanery: Shefford
Poor Law Union: Biggleswade