CLOPHILL is a village and parish about, 3½ miles east from Ampthill, 3½ west from the Shefford station, on the Bedford and Hitchin branch of the Midland railway, and 8½ south from Bedford, in the hundred of Flitt, union and county court district of Ampthill, rural deanery of East Fleete, archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Ely1.

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1567
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602

Nonconformists include:

  • Primitive Methodist
  • Society of Friends/Quaker
  • Wesleyan Methodist

Table of Contents

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

Imperial Gazetteer 1870

CLOPHILL, a parish in Ampthill district, Beds; on the river Ivel, 3½ miles W of Shefford r. station, and 4 E of Ampthill. It has a post office under Ampthill. Acres, 2, 140. Real property, £4, 194. Pop., 1, 169. Houses, 244.

There was anciently a small priory; and there are, at Castle hill or Cainhoe, traces of an ancient castle of the d’Albinis.

The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £422. Patron, Countess Cowper. Charities, £39. The church is a handsome edifice in the pointed style, built in 1848.

Source: Imperial Gazetteer 1870.

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Clophill, 2 m. N.E. Selsoe. P. 1066

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

CLOPHILL (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Amphill, hundred of Flitt, county of Bedford, 1 mile (N. by E.) from Silsoe; containing 1066 inhabitants.

It comprises by computation 2340 acres, of which about 1400 are arable, and 700 pasture. The soil is light and sandy, with some portions of gravel, clay, and moorland; the surface is rather hilly, and the lower grounds are subject to inundation from the river Ivel, which flows through the parish.

The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £12; net income, £522; patron, Earl de Grey. The tithes have been commuted for £239, and the glebe contains 70 acres, with a glebehouse. The church stands upon an eminence at some distance from the village.

There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.

At Cainhoe are vestiges of the moated castle of the barons d’Albini: the hill on which it stood is high and steep, and overgrown with coppice-wood. Here was also a religious house, probably a cell to St. Alban’s Abbey.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848.

Parish Registers

Clophill Parish Registers 1567-1812

Clophill Parish Registers 1567-1812 Bedfordshire parish registers by Bedfordshire (England); Emmison, F. G. (Frederick George), 1907-1995, editor – Archive.org

Parish Records

FamilySearch

England, Bedfordshire, Clophill – Census ( 1 )
Census returns for Clophill, 1841-1891
Author: Great Britain. Census Office

England, Bedfordshire, Clophill – Church records ( 2 )
Bishop’s transcripts for Clophill, 1602-1877
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Clophill (Bedfordshire)

Parish registers for Clophill, 1567-1972
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Clophill (Bedfordshire)

England, Bedfordshire, Clophill – Church records – Indexes ( 1 )
Computer printout of Clophill, Beds., Eng

England, Bedfordshire, Clophill – History ( 1 )
The Clophill story
Author: Phillips, Mary

England, Bedfordshire, Clophill – Manors – Court records ( 1 )
Court records, 1613-1934
Author: Manor of Clophill. Court (Bedfordshire)

England, Bedfordshire, Clophill – Poorhouses, poor law, etc. ( 2 )
Charity records, 1630, 1702, 1707, 1711, 1720, 1742, 1757, 1809-1811, 1829, 1855
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Clophill (Bedfordshire)

Parish registers for Clophill, 1567-1972
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Clophill (Bedfordshire)

England, Bedfordshire, Clophill – Taxation ( 1 )
Land tax assessments for Clophill, 1797-1946
Author: Bedfordshire (England). County Council

Directories

The Post Office Directory of Bedfordshire 1869

CLOPHILL is a village and parish about, 3½ miles east from Ampthill, 3½ west from the Shefford station, on the Bedford and Hitchin branch of the Midland railway, and 8½ south from Bedford, in the hundred of Flitt, union and county court district of Ampthill, rural deanery of East Fleete, archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Ely.

The church of St Mary was erected in 1848 by public subscription, of the sandstone peculiar to the Wrest estate; it is in Perpendicular style, with a tower and 2 bells, and is in a more central position than the old church, which is now only used for the purposes of burial. The register dates from the year 1567.

There are Sunday schools for both boys and girls, which are attended by upwards of 200 children; 40 of the Sunday school children are entirely clothed by the Rev J Mendham.

Parish Clerk, Henry Chapman

Ampthill National School, Isaac Austin, master

CARRIERS TO :-
AMPTHILL – George Hayes, thursday,
BEDFORD – Joseph Olney, saturday
LUTON – George Smith, tuesday & friday

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Bonfield Charles esq
Lashbrooke Mrs
Lockwood Rev Charles Blomfield curate
Mendbam Rev John MA rector The Rectory
Mendham Mrs Clophill house
Prosser Miss

COMMERCIAL

Appleby George blacksmith

Bottoms William cowkeeper
Brittain Robert tailor

Calverley Thomas upholsterer
Chapman Henry shoe maker
Chapman William shoe maker
Crouch Edward farmer Cainhoe

Daniels William carpenter
Doggett Vincent market gardener
Dunham John beer retailer

Ecott Sarah Mrs shopkeeper

Garner George beer retailer
Goss Ebenezer shopkeeper
Gudgin Charles butcher
Gudgin Mary Mrs Compasses

Haddow Joseph draper & grocer
Hill John farmer North field
Hinton Thomas carpenter
Horn George farmer Warren farm
Horn George jun miller & maltster

Isitt Eliza Mrs shopkeeper

Kingsley Joseph cattle dealer

Lincoln Sarah Mrs shopkeeper
Low John butcher cattle dealer & farmer
Low Robert landowner & armer, Beadlow

Masters Martha Mrs baker
Masters William mealman
Maudlin Elizabeth Mrs shopkeeper
Mitchenall John grocer & draper

Neal Joseph carpenter

Odell Allan blacksmith

Paine John farmer Cainhoe park
Peat James market gardener

Quenby George grocer & baker
Quenby James Liles, baker

Sharp John New inn
Squire John Dann farmer Brickwall farm
Swannell Frederick tailor

Titmas Frederick shopkeeper

Upton William market gardener

Varney David Green Man & butcher

Whitbread James machine & agricultural implement maker
Wooton James tailor
Worsley Thomas Flying Horse

Source: The Post office directory of Northamptonshire, Huntingdonshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, and Oxfordshire By Kelly’s directories, ltd 1869

Maps

OS Grid ReferenceTL0804537727 (all-numeric format: 508046 237727)

Service Map Topo
Bing Maps UK Map OS maps
StreetMap Map OS maps
Vision of Britain historical maps Map OS maps
Ordnance Survey OS maps
Defra’s MAGIC service Map
National Library of Scotland OS maps
Old OS maps OS maps
Old-maps.co.uk OS plans
Where’s the Path? Map
SABRE Maps Map OS maps

Administration

  • County: Bedfordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Ampthill
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
  • Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
  • Rural Deanery: Fleete
  • Poor Law Union: Ampthill
  • Hundred: Flitt
  • Province: Canterbury

1. The Post office directory of Northamptonshire, Huntingdonshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, and Oxfordshire By Kelly’s directories, ltd 1869

Related Parishes