Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1539
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602
- Particular Baptist
- Society of Friends/Quaker
- Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Clifton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CLIFTON, a parish and a hundred in Beds. The parish is in Biggleswade district; and lies adjacent to the river Ivel and the Great Northern railway, 1½ mile NW of Arlesey r. station, and 4½ SSW of Biggleswade. Post town, Shefford, under Biggleswade. Acres, 1,420. Real property, £4,546. Pop., 1,478. Houses, 289. The property is much subdivided. Clifton-Spinnies is a meet for the Oakley hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £439. Patron, H. Miles, Esq. The church was recently restored and enlarged. There are a Baptist chapel, a recent national school, and charities £12. The hundred lies around the parish; marche. with Herts; and contains eight parishes and part of another. Acres, 20,007. Pop., 10,224. Houses, 1,949.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Clifton, 1½ m. N.E. Shefford. P. 865.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
- County: Bedfordshire
- Civil Registration District: Biggleswade
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
- Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
- Rural Deanery: Shefford
- Poor Law Union: Biggleswade
- Hundred: Clifton
- Province: Canterbury