CLAPHAM is a village and parish, on the north bank of the river Ouse, 2 miles north west from Bedford, on the road to Higham Ferrers, in the hundred of Stodden, union and county court district of Bedford, rural deanery of Clapham, archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Ely1.

Clapham was formerly a chapelry in the parish of Oakley.

Status: Ancient Parish

Parish church: St. Thomas à Becket

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1696; see also Oakley
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1603

Nonconformists include:

Table of Contents

Parishes adjacent to Clapham

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

CLAPHAM, a parish in the district and county of Bedford; on the river Ouse, and on the Hitchin and Leicester railway, near Oakley r. station, 2¼ miles NNW of Bedford. It has a post office under Bedford. Acres. 1,982. Real property, £3,358. Pop., 502. Houses, 129. The property is much subdivided. Clapham Park is the seat of Earl Ashburnham; and was the place of Dr. Hammond’s imprisonment in 1648. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £270. Patron, Lord John Thynne. The church has an early Norman tower, and was mainly rebuilt in 1861. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £50.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Clapham, 2 m. N.W. Bedford. P. 370.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Parish Registers

Clapham Parish Registers 1603 – 1812

Clapham Parish Registers 1603 – 1812 Bedfordshire parish registers by Bedfordshire (England); Emmison, F. G. (Frederick George), 1907-1995, editor – Archive.org

Parish Records

FamilySearch

England, Bedfordshire, Clapham – Cemeteries ( 1 )
Monumental inscriptions in the parish of St. Thomas A Becket, Clapham, 1617-1978
Author: Bedfordshire Family History Society

England, Bedfordshire, Clapham – Census ( 1 )
Census returns for Clapham, 1841-1891
Author: Great Britain. Census Office

England, Bedfordshire, Clapham – Church records ( 3 )
Bishop’s transcripts for Clapham, 1603-1882
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Clapham (Bedfordshire)

Churchwardens rate books, 1846-1858
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Clapham (Bedfordshire)

Parish registers for Clapham, 1696-1956
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Clapham (Bedfordshire)

England, Bedfordshire, Clapham – Church records – Indexes ( 1 )
Computer printout of Clapham, Beds., Eng

England, Bedfordshire, Clapham – Land and property ( 1 )
Catalogue of the Ashburnham manuscripts (Bedfordshire)
Author: Bedfordshire Record Office

England, Bedfordshire, Clapham – Manors ( 1 )
Catalogue of the Ashburnham manuscripts (Bedfordshire)
Author: Bedfordshire Record Office

England, Bedfordshire, Clapham – Manors – Court records ( 1 )
Court records, 1333-1737
Author: Manor of Clapham. Court (Bedfordshire)

England, Bedfordshire, Clapham – Poorhouses, poor law, etc. ( 1 )
Parish registers for Clapham, 1696-1956
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Clapham (Bedfordshire)

England, Bedfordshire, Clapham – Taxation ( 1 )
Land tax assessments for Clapham, 1797-1949
Author: Bedfordshire (England). County Council

Directories

The Post Office Directory of Bedfordshire 1869

CLAPHAM is a village and parish, on the north bank of the river Ouse, 2 miles north west from Bedford, on the road to Higham Ferrers, in the hundred of Stodden, union and county court district of Bedford, rural deanery of Clapham, archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Ely.

The Wesleyans have a small chapel here. There is a daily school for children of both sexes, supported by the Vicar and the Rev John Frederick Dawson.

The chief crops are wheat barley peas beans and oats. Lime burning is carried on and pillow lace is made here. The population in 1861 was 502; the area is 1,948 acres

Parish Clerk Thomas Maddams

Post OFFICE – Thomas Matthews, receiver. Letters through Bedford, delivered at 7 am; dispatched at 5.35 pm. The nearest money order office is at Bedford.

School Annis Peck, mistress

Hinton Alexander esq
Shillito W. esq. Woodlands

COMMERCIAL

Ballingall George farmer
Bandy John farmer
Butt Aaron lime burner

Corby Joseph gardener
Cowley Robert carpenter & rate collector

Dawson George bricklayer

Farrer Daniel baker & shopkeeper

Grant Thomas farmer Church farm

Henman Walter James, manager of Messrs J & F Howard’s Britannia farms
Hilton Samuel carpenter

Jordan Ebenezer blacksmith

Maddams Thomas carpenter & parish clerk
Manton Henry Swan
Matthews Thomas shoe maker & post office

Parrett Eli bricklayer
Pheasey Edwin beer retailer
Poole Benjamin farmer

Ross Alfred, Horse & Groom, & butcher
Ross Robert farmer

Smith Henry shoe maker
Smith Thomas beer retailer
Smith William beer retailer
Stevenson Charles shoe maker & tollgate collector
Stevenson Susan Mrs milliner

Source: The Post office directory of Northamptonshire, Huntingdonshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, and Oxfordshire By Kelly’s directories, ltd 1869

Maps

OS Grid ReferenceTL0244952950 (all-numeric format: 502450 252950)

Service Map Topo
Bing Maps UK Map OS maps
StreetMap Map OS maps
Vision of Britain historical maps Map OS maps
Ordnance Survey OS maps
Defra’s MAGIC service Map
National Library of Scotland OS maps
Old OS maps OS maps
Old-maps.co.uk OS plans
Where’s the Path? Map
SABRE Maps Map OS maps

Administration

  • County: Bedfordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Bedford
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
  • Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
  • Rural Deanery: Clapham
  • Poor Law Union: Bedford
  • Hundred: Stodden
  • Province: Canterbury

1. The Post office directory of Northamptonshire, Huntingdonshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, and Oxfordshire By Kelly’s directories, ltd 1869

Related Parishes