Carlton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Bedfordshire.

Alternative names: Carlton-cum-Chellington

Status: Ancient Parish

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1572
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602

Nonconformists include: Baptist

Parishes adjacent to Carlton

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

CARLTON, a parish in the district and county of Bedford; on the verge of the county, near the river Ouse, 4½ miles NE of Olney, and 5½ SW by W of Sharnbrook r. station. It has a post-office under Bedford. Acres, 1,530. Real property, £2,174. Pop., 470. Houses, 109. Carlton Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Chellington, in the diocese of Ely. Value, £370. Patron, Lord Dynevor. There is a Baptist chapel.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Carleton, or Carlton, a parish in the hund. of Willey, union and county of Bedford; 4½ miles north-east of Olney, bounded on the west by the river Ouse. Living, a rectory consolidated in 1709 with that of Chellington, formerly in the archd. of Bedford and dio. of Lincoln, now in the dio. of Ely; rated at £15 6s. 8d.; gross income £420. Tithes commuted in 1805. Patron, in 1835, Hon. G. R. Trevor. There are a Baptist chapel here, and 3 Sunday schools. Pop., in 1801, 376; in 1831, 424. Houses 87. Acres 1,530. A. P. £1,497. Poor rates, in 1837, £37

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

CARLTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the hundred of Willey, union and county of Bedford, 1½ mile (S.) from Harrold; containing 444 inhabitants. It was formerly much intermixed with the parish of Chellington, but under an act of inclosure, in 1801, a distinct boundary was established. The living is a rectory, with that of Chellington united in 1769, valued in the king’s books at £15. 6. 8.; net income, £370; patron, the Hon. G. R. Trevor. The tithes were commuted for land and money payments in 1805. The church contains a tablet on which is recorded the long incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Wills, who was seventy years minister. There is a place of worship for Particular Baptists.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Carlton, 7 m. N.W. Bedford. P. 444

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Directories

Carlton Kelly’s Directory of Bedfordshire, 1914

Parish Registers

Parish Records

Bedfordshire Archives & Family History Groups

Bedfordshire Archives

Bedfordshire Family History Society

Bedfordshire Historical Record Society

Bedfordshire

England, Bedfordshire Parish Registers, 1538-1983

Bedfordshire County Cemetery Records

Stotfold Cemetery Search

Bedfordshire Gaol Register

Bedfordshire Quarter Session Rolls 1714-1832

Bedfordshire Poll Book 1722

Bedfordshire Poll Book 1722

Bedfordshire 1926 Valuation Maps

Bedfordshire Apprentices

Bedfordshire Police Roll of Honour

Bedfordshire Pubs Archive

Lost Pubs of Bedfordshire

Administration

  • County: Bedfordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Bedford
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
  • Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
  • Rural Deanery: Clapham
  • Poor Law Union: Bedford
  • Hundred: Willey
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts