Cardington

Photo of St Mary's Cardington, near to Cardington, Bedfordshire by David Savell, some rights reserved.

Cardington Bedfordshire Family History

Cardington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Bedfordshire.

Other places in the parish include: Fenlake, Harrowden, Cotton End, Eastcotts, East Cotts, Eastcots, and East Cotts with Cotton End.

Parish church: St Mary

Parish registers begin: 1572

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Cardington

  • Goldington
  • Wilshamstead
  • Haynes
  • Old Warden
  • Cople
  • Bedford St Mary
  • Bedford St John
  • Elstow

Historical Descriptions

Cardington

THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1851

Cardington, a parish in the hund. of Wixamtree, union and county of Bedford; 2 miles south-south-west of Willington, on the river Ouse. It includes the chapelry of East-Cotts. Living, a discharged vicarage, formerly in the archd. of Bedford and dio. of Lincoln, now in the dio. of Ely; rated at £7 17s. 0d. ; gross income £256. The patrons are the master and fellows of Trinity college, Cambridge. A tablet to the memory of Howard the philanthropist, who lived some time here, has been put up in the church; and a monument, by Bacon — the last of his works — was erected in 1799 to the memory of Samuel Whitbread, Esq., whose family first Settled here in 1650. There is an Independent and Baptist chapel here; the church was formed in 1777. There are also two daily schools. Pop., in 1801, 509; in 1831, 594. Houses 258. Acres 5,050. A. P. £7,753. Poor rates, in 1837, £336.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

LEONARD’S GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1850

Cardington, 4 miles S.E. Bedford. P. 1466

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Eastcotts

THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1851

Eastcotts, a chapelry in Cardington parish, County of Bedford; 3½ miles south-east of Bedford. Houses 145. Pop., in 1801, 504; in 1831, 710. Poor rates, in 1838, £388 6s.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

LEONARD’S GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1850

East-Cotts, in Cardington Parish.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Elstow

LEONARD’S GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1850

Elstow, 2 m. S.W. Bedford. P. 562.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Fenlake

LEONARD’S GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1850

Fenlake, in Cardington Parish.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Harrowden

LEONARD’S GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1850

Harrowden, 2 m. Bedford. Pop. in Cardington

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Administration

  • County: Bedfordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Bedford
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
  • Diocese: Pre-1837 - Lincoln, Post-1836 - Ely
  • Rural Deanery: Bedford
  • Poor Law Union: Bedford
  • Hundred: Wixamtree
  • Province: Canterbury