BROMHAM (or BRUMHAM anciently Bromeham or Bromehal) is a parish and beautiful village, situated on the north bank of the river Ouse and on the Northampton road, 3 miles north west from Bedford, 13 north east from Newport Pagnell, and 19 south east from Northampton, in Willey hundred, Bedford union and county court district, rural deanery of Clapham, archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Ely1.

Parish church: St. Owen

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1570
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Table of Contents

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BROMHAM, a parish, with a village, in the district and county of Bedford; on the river Ouse, 2 miles SW of Oakley r. station, and 4 WNW of Bedford. Post Town, Bedford. Acres, 1,798. Real property, £2,988. Pop., 361. Houses, 67. The property is divided among a few. Bromham Hall is the seat of the Trevors. A bridge of 25 arches crosses the Ouse at the village. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Oakley, in the diocese of Ely. Value, £336. Patron, Eton College. The church is very ancient but good; has a square tower; and contains monuments of the Trevors and the Dyves. There is a free school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Bromham, a parish in the hund. of Willey, union of Bedford, county of Bedford; 4 miles west-north-west of Bedford, intersected by the river Ouse, over which there is a bridge here. Living, a vicarage, with that of Oakley annexed, formerly in the archd. of Bedford and dio. of Lincoln, now in the dio. of Ely; valued at £8; gross income £339; in the patronage of Eton college. The church contains monuments of the families of Trevor and Dyne. There are a day and Sunday school in this parish; and a mineral spring. Pop., in 1801, 297; in 1831, 334. Houses 61. Acres 1,910. A. P. £1,996. Poor rates, in 1837, £190.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Bromham, 3 m. N.W. Bedford. P.314

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Bromham, co. Bedford.

P.T. Bedford (50) 4 m. WNW. Pop. 296.

A parish in the hundred of Willey; living, a vicarage in the archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of Lincoln; charged in K. B. 8 l.; church ded. to St. Owen; patron, Eton College.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Parish Registers

Bromham Parish Registers 1570 – 1812

Bromham Parish Registers 1570 – 1812 Bedfordshire parish registers by Bedfordshire (England); Emmison, F. G. (Frederick George), 1907-1995, editor – Archive.org

Parish Records

FamilySearch

England, Bedfordshire, Bromham – Cemeteries ( 1 )
The monumental inscriptions of the Parish Church, Bromham, Bedfordshire
Author: Matthews, A. Weight (Arthur Weight), 1865-1937; Bedfordshire Family History Society

England, Bedfordshire, Bromham – Census ( 1 )
Census returns for Bromham, 1841-1891
Author: Great Britain. Census Office

England, Bedfordshire, Bromham – Church records ( 2 )
Bishop’s transcripts for Bromham, 1602-1877
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Bromham (Bedfordshire)

Parish registers for Bromham, 1570-1970
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Bromham (Bedfordshire)

England, Bedfordshire, Bromham – Church records – Indexes ( 1 )
Computer printout of Bromham, Beds., Eng

England, Bedfordshire, Bromham – Land and property ( 1 )
Documents relating to the Trevor estate in Bromham and various other parishes in Bedfordshire.

England, Bedfordshire, Bromham – Manors ( 1 )
Documents relating to the Trevor estate in Bromham and various other parishes in Bedfordshire.

England, Bedfordshire, Bromham – Poorhouses, poor law, etc. ( 2 )
Overseers records, 1812, 1837-1869
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Bromham (Bedfordshire)

Parish registers for Bromham, 1570-1970
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Bromham (Bedfordshire)

England, Bedfordshire, Bromham – Schools ( 1 )
Log books, 1882-1954
Author: Bromham Church of England School

England, Bedfordshire, Bromham – Taxation ( 1 )
Land tax assessments for Bromham, 1797-1949
Author: Bedfordshire (England). County Council

Directories

Bromham Kelly’s Directory of Bedfordshire, 1914

The Post Office Directory of Bedfordshire 1869

BROMHAM (or BRUMHAM anciently Bromeham or Bromehal) is a parish and beautiful village, situated on the north bank of the river Ouse and on the Northampton road, 3 miles north west from Bedford, 13 north east from Newport Pagnell, and 19 south east from Northampton, in Willey hundred, Bedford union and county court district, rural deanery of Clapham, archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Ely.

There is a free school for boys and girls, with many other charities, supported liberally by the family of Lord Dynevor, the Rev A.J. Coleridge B.A., and parishioners. A noble school room, with house for the mistress, and all other buildings complete, have been erected by the Countess of Longford and the Hon Miss Rice Trevor, the two younger daughters of Lord Dynevor. The school is handsomely decorated with carvings, etc.; over the entrance carved in large letters: “Those that seek me early shall find.”

Parish Clerk William Crump

Free School (boys & girls) Miss Hinkin, mistress

CARRIER – Mrs White every day, if required

Dydevor Lord & Lady, Bromham hall; 19 Princes gardens, Kensington, London
Coleridge Rev Alfred James BA vicar

COMMERCIAL

Allen Thomas Crown

Biggs William & Son farmers & millers Bridge end

Ellis Henry shopkeeper

Garner Thomas road surveyor
Gibbins Henry farmer
Gibbins Robert farmer

Hailifax Alfred baker
Harrison Edwin superintendent of building works on the Dynevor estate
Harrison Samuel Swan
Harrison William builder on the Dynevor estate
Hebbes John shopkeeper Bridge foot
Henman Alexander farmer Bromham grange
Henman Mary Mrs farmer Bromham grange

King Henry carpenter
King Samuel farmer

Osborn Caroline Miss shopkeeper

Pruden John blacksmith

Rogers Alfred farmer

Swannell Thos Wm farmer Swan grn

Source: The Post office directory of Northamptonshire, Huntingdonshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, and Oxfordshire By Kelly’s directories, ltd 1869

Maps

OS Grid ReferenceTL0059050743 (all-numeric format: 500590 250743)

Service Map Topo
Bing Maps UK Map OS maps
StreetMap Map OS maps
Vision of Britain historical maps Map OS maps
Ordnance Survey OS maps
Defra’s MAGIC service Map
National Library of Scotland OS maps
Old OS maps OS maps
Old-maps.co.uk OS plans
Where’s the Path? Map
SABRE Maps Map OS maps

Administration

  • County: Bedfordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Bedford
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
  • Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
  • Rural Deanery: Clapham
  • Poor Law Union: Bedford
  • Hundred: Willey
  • Province: Canterbury

1. The Post office directory of Northamptonshire, Huntingdonshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, and Oxfordshire By Kelly’s directories, ltd 1869

Related Parishes