Bolnhurst is an Ancient Parish in the county of Bedfordshire.

Parish church: St. Dunstan

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1571
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602

Nonconformists include:

  • Baptist
  • Independent/Congregational

Table of Contents

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BOLNHURST, a parish in the district and county of Bedford; 5 miles E by S of Sharnbrook r. station, and 6½ NNE of Bedford. Post Town, Wilden, under Bedford. Acres, 2,160. Real property, £2,088. Pop., 348. Houses, 67. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £159. Patron, the Rev. F. M. Harvey. The church is good. An endowed school has £12.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Bolnhurst, a parish in the hund. of Stodden, union and county of Bedford; 6½ miles north by east of Bedford. Living, a rectory, formerly in the archd. of Bedford and dio. of Lincoln, now in the dio. of Ely; valued at £9; gross income £173. Patron, in 1835, the Rev. H. W. Gery. The great and small tithes, the property of the clerical rector and lay-impropriator, were commuted in 1778. There is a day and Sunday school in this parish, supported by endowments. Pop., in 1801, 225; in 1831, 300. Houses 50. Acres 2,130. A. P. £1,968. Poor rates, in 1837, £238.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Bolnhurst, 5 m. N.E, Bedford. P.344

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Bolnhurst, co. Bedford.

P.T. Bedford (50) 7 m. N b E. Pop. 264.

A parish in the hundred of Stodden; living, a rectory in the archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of Lincoln; valued in K. B. 9 l.; church ded. to St. Dunstan; patrons (1829) W. M. Willett, Esq. and others.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Parish Registers

Bolnhurst Parish Registers 1602-1812

Bolnhurst Parish Registers 1602-1812 Bedfordshire parish registers by Bedfordshire (England); Emmison, F. G. (Frederick George), 1907-1995, editor – Archive.org

Parish Records

FamilySearch

England, Bedfordshire, Bolnhurst – Census ( 1 )
Census returns for Bolnhurst, 1841-1891
Author: Great Britain. Census Office

England, Bedfordshire, Bolnhurst – Church records ( 3 )
Bishop’s transcripts for Bolnhurst, 1602-1875
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Bolnhurst (Bedfordshire)

Churchwardens and overseers records, 1676-1877
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Bolnhurst (Bedfordshire)

Parish registers for Bolnhurst, 1685-1854
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Bolnhurst (Bedfordshire)

England, Bedfordshire, Bolnhurst – Church records – Indexes ( 1 )
Computer printout of Bolnhurst, Beds., Eng

England, Bedfordshire, Bolnhurst – Manors – Court records ( 1 )
Court records, 1684-1765
Author: Manor of Bolnhurst. Court (Bedfordshire)

England, Bedfordshire, Bolnhurst – Poorhouses, poor law, etc. ( 1 )
Churchwardens and overseers records, 1676-1877
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Bolnhurst (Bedfordshire)

England, Bedfordshire, Bolnhurst – Schools ( 1 )
Log book, 1885-1930
Author: Bolnhurst County Primary School

England, Bedfordshire, Bolnhurst – Taxation ( 2 )
Churchwardens and overseers records, 1676-1877
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Bolnhurst (Bedfordshire)

Land tax assessments for Bolnhurst, 1797-1949
Author: Bedfordshire (England). County Council

Directories

Bolnhurst Kelly’s Directory of Bedfordshire, 1914

The Post Office Directory of Bedfordshire 1869

BOLNHURST is a straggling village and parish, situated on the Bedford and Kimbolton main road, 7 miles north from the former, 6 south from the latter, and 7 west from St Neots, in the hundred of Stodden, union county court district of Bedford, rural deanery of Eaton, archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Ely.

Parish Clerk Frederick Luck

Edwards Rev John Cox curate

COMMERCIAL

Adams John farmer

Breary James farmer
Breary Stephen Fox & Hounds

Church George farmer

Daniels Joseph farmer
Draper Robert blacksmith

Fensom Thomas farmer

Green Samuel farmer Crowhill
Green Samuel jun farmer Backnoe end
Green William farmer

Harrison Stephen farmer
Hartop Samuel farmer
Hawkins Jabez farmer
Houghton Thomas miller

Sharman James farmer
Sharman Joseph farmer
Sharman Sarah Mrs farmer
Swales John Plough & farmer
Whitmee John Dickens farmer

Source: The Post office directory of Northamptonshire, Huntingdonshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, and Oxfordshire By Kelly’s directories, ltd 1869

Maps

OS Grid ReferenceTL0848959744 (all-numeric format: 508490 259745)

Service Map Topo Aerial Other
Bing Maps UK Map OS maps Aerial Bird’s Eye
StreetMap Map OS maps Convert
Vision of Britain historical maps Map OS maps
Ordnance Survey OS maps See other OS
map links below
Defra’s MAGIC service Map
National Library of Scotland OS maps
Old OS maps OS maps
Old-maps.co.uk OS plans
Where’s the Path? Map
SABRE Maps Map OS maps

Administration

  • County: Bedfordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Bedford
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
  • Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
  • Rural Deanery: Eaton
  • Poor Law Union: Bedford
  • Hundred: Stodden
  • Province: Canterbury

Related Parishes