Blunham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Bedfordshire. Moggerhanger was constituted a chapelry in 1860

Other places in the parish include: Moggerhanger and Muggerhanger.

Parish church: St. Edmond

Parish registers begin: 1571

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Particular Baptist, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Table of Contents

Adjacent Parishes

The parish of Blunham included the large hamlet of Mogerhanger until less than a century ago, when the latter was created an independent parish. The two townships lie in the fertile plain of east Bedfordshire, and the inhabitants are occupied mainly in market gardening.

From early in the seventeenth century Blunham seems to have been a stronghold of dissent. Besides the direct references to dissenters, there are many entries of persons interred unbaptised. In a return of nonconformists, there were 50 Baptists at Blunham in 1669. John Wright, “the pious saddler of Blunham,” and George Farr (pp. 74-5, etc.) were fellow sufferers of John Bunyan in Bedford gaol.

Parish History

Blunham

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BLUNHAM, a village and a parish in Biggleswade district, Beds. The village stands on the river Ivel, near the Cambridge and Bedford and the Great Northern railways, 6½ miles E of Bedford; and has a station on the former railway, and a post office under St. Neot’s. It was once a market-town. Pop., 647. Houses, 147.

The parish includes also the hamlet of Muggerhanger. Acres, 3,300. Real property, £7,266. Pop., 1,150. Houses, 243. The property is much subdivided. Blunham House and Blunham Park are chief residences; and the former is the seat of SirG. Payne, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £731. Patron, Countess-Cowper. The church is Norman and good. The vicarage of Muggerhanger is a separate benefice.

There are two dissenting chapels, a national school for boys, and an industrial school for girls.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Blunham, 4½ miles N. Biggleswade. P. 1050

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Blunham, co. Bedford.

P. T. Biggleswade (45) 5 m. NNW.

Pop. with Moggerhanger 540.

A parish in the hundred of Wixamtree; living, a rectory in the archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of Lincoln; valued in K. B. 46l. 2s. 11d.; church ded. to St. Edmond; patroness, the Countess de Grey.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Moggerhanger

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

MOGGERHANGER, or MUGGERHANGER, a village and a chapelry in Blunham parish, Beds. The village stands 1 mile SSW of Blunham r-station, 1¼ mile W of the river Ivel, and 4½ NW by N of Biggleswade; and has a post office under St. Neots.

The chapelry contains also the hamlet of Charlton, and was constituted in 1860. Pop., 503. Houses, 96. Moggerhanger House is the seat of F. Dawkins, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ely. Value, £100. Patron, F. Dawkins, Esq. The church was built in 1861, by the late Mrs. Dawkins, as a memorial to her deceased husband, the Rev. E. H. Dawkins; is in the early Norman style, of Kempston stone and Silsoe red sandstone, with pillars of Ancaster stone; consists of nave, aisles, transepts, and apsidal chancel, with a central tower; and contains a splendid brass monument to the Rev. E. H. Dawkins, over his remains.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Moggerhanger, in Blunham parish. P. 425.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Bankrupts

Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.

Garratt John, Muggerhanger, Bedfordshire, publican, Dec. 11, 1832.

Parish Registers

Blunham Parish Registers 1571 to 1812

Blunham Parish Registers 1571 to 1812 Bedfordshire parish registers by Bedfordshire (England); Emmison, F. G. (Frederick George), 1907-1995, editor – Archive.org

Parish Records

FamilySearch

Blunham

England, Bedfordshire, Blunham – Cemeteries ( 1 )
Register of burials in the burial ground of Blunham, 1902-1989
Author: Blunham Cemetery (Blunham, Bedfordshire)

England, Bedfordshire, Blunham – Census ( 2 )
Census returns for Blunham, 1841-1891
Author: Great Britain. Census Office

Parish registers for Blunham, 1571-1943
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Blunham (Bedfordshire)

England, Bedfordshire, Blunham – Church records ( 8 )
Bishop’s transcripts for Blunham, 1602-1874
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Blunham (Bedfordshire)

Bishop’s transcripts for Moggerhanger, 1860-1868
Author: Church of England. Chapelry of Moggerhanger (Bedfordshire)

Church book, 1724-1891
Author: Old Meeting House (Blunham, Bedfordshire : Baptist)

Church records, 1709-1837
Author: Baptist Church (Blunham, Bedfordshire)

The Old Meeting Baptist Church, Blunham, church book, 1724-1891
Author: Old Meeting Baptist Church (Blunham)

Parish registers for Blunham, 1571-1943
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Blunham (Bedfordshire)

Parish registers for Moggerhanger, 1860-1983
Author: Church of England. Chapelry of Moggerhanger (Bedfordshire)

Tithes, churchwardens, overseers records, 1232, 1713-1857
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Blunham (Bedfordshire)

England, Bedfordshire, Blunham – Church records – Indexes ( 3 )
Computer printout of Blunham, Baptist, Beds., Eng

Computer printout of Blunham, Beds., Eng

Computer printout of Moggerhanger, Beds., Eng

England, Bedfordshire, Blunham – Manors – Court records ( 1 )
Court records, 1318-1939
Author: Manor of Blunham. Court (Bedfordshire)

England, Bedfordshire, Blunham – Occupations ( 1 )
Tithes, churchwardens, overseers records, 1232, 1713-1857
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Blunham (Bedfordshire)

England, Bedfordshire, Blunham – Poorhouses, poor law, etc. ( 2 )
Parish registers for Blunham, 1571-1943
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Blunham (Bedfordshire)

Tithes, churchwardens, overseers records, 1232, 1713-1857
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Blunham (Bedfordshire)

England, Bedfordshire, Blunham – Schools ( 1 )
Blunham schools log books, 1873-1921

England, Bedfordshire, Blunham – Taxation ( 2 )
Land tax assessments for Blunham, 1798-1949
Author: Bedfordshire (England). County Council

Tithes, churchwardens, overseers records, 1232, 1713-1857
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Blunham (Bedfordshire)

Moggerhanger

Use for:
England, Bedfordshire, Muggerhanger

England, Bedfordshire, Moggerhanger – Census ( 1 )
Census returns for Moggerhanger, 1841-1891
Author: Great Britain. Census Office

England, Bedfordshire, Moggerhanger – Church records ( 2 )
Bishop’s transcripts for Moggerhanger, 1860-1868
Author: Church of England. Chapelry of Moggerhanger (Bedfordshire)

Parish registers for Moggerhanger, 1860-1983
Author: Church of England. Chapelry of Moggerhanger (Bedfordshire)

England, Bedfordshire, Moggerhanger – Church records – Indexes ( 1 )
Computer printout of Moggerhanger, Beds., Eng

England, Bedfordshire, Moggerhanger – Taxation ( 1 )
Land tax assessments for Moggerhanger, 1797-1949
Author: Bedfordshire (England). County Council

Directories

Blunham Kelly’s Directory of Bedfordshire, 1914

The Post Office Directory of Bedfordshire 1869

BLUNHAM is a parish, large village, and station on the Bedford and Cambridge line of the North Western Railway, 7 miles east from Bedford, 6 south from St Neots, 5 north west from Biggleswade, and 50 from London, in the hundred of Wixamtree, union and county court district of Biggleswade, rural deanery of Shefford, archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Ely, situated between the rivers Ouse and Ivel.

There is a National school for boys, a School for girls, and an Infant school, supported by contributions. There are two Dissenting chapels. Blunham formerly had a market, and a fair at the festival of St James, granted to John Lord Hastings in 1315.

South Mills is a small hamlet of Blunham. Frederick Dawkins Esq is lord of the manor.

Parish Clerk, William Clarke

Post Office – Robert Judd postmaster, Letters received through St Neots at 5.30 am; dispatched at 6.25 pm. The nearest money order office is at Sandy

National School, John Noy, master; Mrs Sarah Noy, mistress
Infant School, Mrs Sharpe, mistress
Railway Station, Henry Boor, station master

CARRIER TO BEDFORD – George Thomas, monday, wednesday & saturday, returning same days

Blunham

Abbott Rev William [Baptist]
Brookes Miss
Edye Mrs
Goodman Mr William
Judd Mr William
Medd John MD
Mountain Rev Jacob Henry Brooke D.D. J.P. rector & rural dean The Rectory
Payne Sir Charles Gillies, bart. D.L. Blunham house
Usher Joseph esq The Orchard

COMMERCIAL

Barker John market gardener
Bolnhurst James farmer
Bonness James beer retailer

Clarke William beer retailer & farmer
Clarke William Thomas jun farmer

Dennis John butcher

Elliott Thomas Old Horseshoes inn
Ellwood John beer retailer
Eyre Thomas farmer

Fairy Moses farmer
Field Thomas tailor
Flood John Henry butcher
Fovage John shoe maker

Goodship George boot & shoe maker

James John Baker Old Salutation
Judd Robert draper & grocer & post office
Judd Mrs farmer
Judd William gardener

King Nathaniel Kifford Railway tav

Letts John machinist
Lovell Joseph farmer

Medd John MD surgeon

Norman Mark miller & farmer

Pedley Lewis shopkeeper
Powers Frank & William bakers & farmers

Reid Sarah Mrs beer retailer

Samuel Thomas builder
Samway James mealman & beer retailer
Sharpe Francis painter & glazier
Smith Frank dealer

Thomas John market gardener

Wakefield Geo shoeing & jobbing smith

South Mills

Pope Cornelius manager for Charles Powers Oil mills

Triplow John farmer

Source: The Post office directory of Northamptonshire, Huntingdonshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, and Oxfordshire By Kelly’s directories, ltd 1869

Maps

OS Grid ReferenceTL1480251229 (all-numeric format: 514803 251230)

Service Map Topo
Bing Maps UK Map OS maps
StreetMap Map OS maps
Vision of Britain historical maps Map OS maps
Ordnance Survey OS maps
Defra’s MAGIC service Map
National Library of Scotland OS maps
Old OS maps OS maps
Old-maps.co.uk OS plans
Where’s the Path? Map
SABRE Maps Map OS maps

Administration

  • County: Bedfordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Biggleswade
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
  • Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
  • Rural Deanery: Shefford
  • Poor Law Union: Biggleswade
  • Hundred: Wixamtree
  • Province: Canterbury

Related Parishes