Battlesden is an Ancient Parish in the county of Bedfordshire.

Parish church: St. Peter

Parish registers begin: 1719

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Battlesden

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BATTLESDEN, a parish in Woburn district, Beds, on Watling-street, 3 miles SSE of Woburn, and 4½ NE of Leighton-Buzzard r. station. Post Town, Woburn. Acres, 1,123. Real property, £1,981. Pop., 143. Houses, 31. The manor belonged, in the time of Edward III., to the Firmbands; passed, in the time of Elizabeth, to the Duncombes; was purchased, in 1706, by the Bathursts, to whom it gives the title of Baron; and is now the property of the Turners. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Potsgrove, in the diocese of Ely. Value, £509. Patrons, the Trustees of the late Sir G. P. Turner, Bart. The church is good.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Battlesden, 3 m. S. Woburn. P. 179

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840

Battlesden, a parish in the hund. of Manshead, union of Woburn, county of Bedford; 3 miles south of Woburn, on the post road to Dunstable. Living a rectory, united with that of Potsgrove, formerly in the archd. of Bedford and dio. of Lincoln, now in the dio. of Ely; valued at £12 9s. 7d.; gross income £328. Patron, in 1835, Sir G. P. Turner, Bart. Earl Bathurst takes the title of baron from this place. It stands on the Roman road called Watling street. Pop., in 1801, 133; in 1831, 145. Houses 28. Acres 1,140. A. P. £2,420. Poor rates, in 1837, £167.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Battleden, co. Bedford.

P. T. Woburn (41) 3 m. SSE. Pop. 151.

A parish in the hundred of Manshead; living, a rectory united with that of Potsgrave, in the archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of Lincoln; valued in K. B. 12l. 9s. 7d.; church ded. to St. Peter; patron (1829) Sir G. P. Turner, Bart.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Parish Registers

Parish Records

Bedfordshire Archives & Family History Groups

Bedfordshire Archives

Bedfordshire Family History Society

Bedfordshire Historical Record Society

Bedfordshire

England, Bedfordshire Parish Registers, 1538-1983

Bedfordshire County Cemetery Records

Stotfold Cemetery Search

Bedfordshire Gaol Register

Bedfordshire Quarter Session Rolls 1714-1832

Bedfordshire Poll Book 1722

Bedfordshire Poll Book 1722

Bedfordshire 1926 Valuation Maps

Bedfordshire Apprentices

Bedfordshire Police Roll of Honour

Bedfordshire Pubs Archive

Lost Pubs of Bedfordshire

Directories

Battlesden Kelly’s Directory of Bedfordshire, 1914

Census

The links below will not work unless logged in to Familysearch.

Battlesden England and Wales Census, 1841 at FamilySearch

Battlesden England and Wales Census, 1851 at FamilySearch

Battlesden England and Wales Census, 1861 at FamilySearch

Administration

  • County: Bedfordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Woburn
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
  • Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
  • Rural Deanery: Dunstable
  • Poor Law Union: Woburn
  • Hundred: Manshead
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts