Barton in the Clay is an Ancient Parish in the county of Bedfordshire.
Alternative names: Barton, Barton-le-Cley, Barton-le-Clay
Parish church: St Nicholas
Parish registers begin: 1558
Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Table of Contents
- Adjacent Parishes
- Parish History
- Parish Registers
- Parish Records
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BARTON-IN-THE-CLAY, a parish in Luton district, Beds; on the verge of the county, 7 miles N of Luton r. station. It has a post office under Ampthill. Acres, 2,270. Real property, £3,400. Pop., 956. Houses, 210. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £400. Patron, the Crown. The church is ancient and good. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, an endowed school with £50, and other charities with £33.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Barton-in-the-Clay, 3 m. S. from Selsoe. P. 855
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BARTON-IN-THE-CLAY (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Luton, hundred of Flitt, county of Bedford, 3¼ miles (S.) from Silsoe; containing 855 inhabitants.
This place, which derives its distinguishing affix from its position at the commencement of the clayey soil under Barton Hill, is situated on the road from Luton to Bedford, and on the border of Hertfordshire: the manor formerly belonged to the monks of Ramsey, since whose possession it has been in the hands of many different families.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £26. 9. 7.; net income, £317; patron, the Crown. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1809. There is a place of worship for Particular Baptists; and a school is endowed with property producing about £50 per annum, the bequest of Edward Willes in 1807.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Barton-in-the-Clay, a parish in the hund. of Flitt, union of Luton, county of Bedford; 3½ miles south of Silsoe. Living, a rectory, formerly in the archd. of Bedford and dio. of Lincoln, now in the dio. of Ely; rated at £26 9s. 7d.; gross in come £420; in the patronage of the Crown. The great and small tithes, the property of the clerical rector, were commuted in 1809. There is a Baptist chapel here. The parish possesses three daily schools, one of which is endowed with £32 per annum, and a Sunday school. Pop., in 1801, 448; in 1831, 720. Houses 146. Acres 2,270. A. P. £2,790. Poor rates, in 1837, £294.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Barton-In-The-Clay, co. Bedford.
P. T. Silsoe (40) 3 m. S. Pop. 608.
A parish in the hundred of Flitt; living, a rectory in the archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of Lincoln; charged in K. B. 26l. 9s. 7d.; church ded. to St. Nicholas; patron, the King. In this parish is a celebrated petrifying spring.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Barton-in-the-Clay Parish Registers 1558-1812
Poorhouses & Poor Law
The Post Office Directory of Bedfordshire 1869
BARTON or BARTON IN THE CLAY is a pleasant village and parish, on the road from London to Bedford, 6 miles north from Luton, 7 south east from Ampthill, 7 west from Hitchin, and 31 from the Harlington station on the Midland Railway, in the hundred of Flitt, union and county court district of Luton, archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Ely.
Post Office – Mrs Sarah Mullins, receiver. Letters received through Ampthill at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 4.40 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Ampthill
CARRIER TO LUTON & AMPTHILL – John Mead, daily
Blomfield Rev Arthur MA rector
Lee Mr William sen
Nash Mr Francis
Paull Gillman Churton Pring esq LRCP Edinburgh MRCS Eng
Simpkins Mr William
Allen John carpenter & baker
Allen Mary Mrs Rose & Crown
Arnold William farmer
Beechener Robert farrier
Bell John wheelwright
Bligh David boot & shoe maker
Brazier Philip baker
Burbidge Thomas farmer
Castleman Francis farmer
Chance James beer retailer
Chandler Thomas Mrs tailor & draper
Cheshire James beer retailer
Foxen James bailiff for the Barton estates
Hill George Mrs farmer
Hill William fruiterer
Hipgrave William miller
Hook William Bull & butcher
Lee William farmer
Lousley Asher farmer
Mann James butcher
Mead John cooper
Mead Simeon Coach & Horses
Mullins John Mrs grocer
Page William Oak
Paull Gillman Churton Pring surgeon
Peck Albert bricklayer
Simpkins George shopkeeper
Timms Frederick saddler
Timms George Mrs beer retailer
Ward Thomas plumber & glazier
Warren Poebe Mrs grocer
Whitehead John farmer
Wilson James blacksmith
Wilson Thomas wheelwright
Wright Charles corn dealer
Source: The Post office directory of Northamptonshire, Huntingdonshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, and Oxfordshire By Kelly’s directories, ltd 1869
OS Grid Reference: TL0825231045 (all-numeric format: 508252 231045)
|Bing Maps UK||Map||OS maps||Aerial||Bird’s Eye|
|Vision of Britain historical maps||Map||OS maps|
|Ordnance Survey||OS maps||See other OS
map links below
|Defra’s MAGIC service||Map|
|National Library of Scotland||OS maps|
|Old OS maps||OS maps|
|Where’s the Path?||Map|
|SABRE Maps||Map||OS maps|
- County: Bedfordshire
- Civil Registration District: Luton
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
- Diocese: Post-1836 – Ely, Pre-1837 – Lincoln
- Rural Deanery: Dunstable
- Poor Law Union: Luton
- Hundred: Flitt
- Province: Canterbury